Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: love-hounds etc...(Stina Nordenstam)

From: "K." <karim.jamal@era-t.ericsson.se>
Date: 8 Mar 1995 08:29:24 GMT
Subject: Re: love-hounds etc...(Stina Nordenstam)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

"Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Mar 1995, J.A.Harkness wrote:
>
> > Hey, Stuart!
> >
> > Saw your bit in Love Hounds about  the female Vocalists discussion
> > thingy.
>
> For which I got mildly and appropriately flamed, if we're talking about
> the same thing! Or have you mistaken me for someone else? :*}
>
>   What I'm really interested in is if anyone has any
> > information on Stina Nordenstam.  Can't get info, can't get cds can't
> > get anything.  All I have is two tracks taped from the Radio (one
> > called 'Little Star')

Some info on Stina Nordenstam:

SN is a young lady from Stockholm with a very original style. She
writes her own music, which is sort of jazz-based but very melodic.
Her voice is kind of a mixture of Billie Holiday and Rickie Lee
Jones(!). Her first album, which I think was called "Memories of
a colour" (1993?), was quite a success in Sweden, at least among
the critics.(I'm almost sure 'Little Star' is from that album.)
Although the album isn't as varied as e.g. a Kate Bush
or Jane Siberry album, it certainly contains a lot of high quality
stuff. (That was the Kate-content!)
I have seen her live a couple of times (brilliant), although I missed
her "breakthrough-gig" at the All Star Jazz & Blues Festival in
Stockholm in 92 I think (or perhaps 91?).
She has made at least one more album since, which I don't know much
about, except for one or two songs of her I've heard lately that
indicated a move towards a more experimental music.
It's a bit surprising to me that you can't find her CD's is the UK,
as I have heard that she is popular also among UK critics(?).

/K.