Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Gaffa

From: Craig Heath <craig@sco.COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 95 22:14:58 GMT
Subject: Re: Gaffa
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Jon Drukman surfaces to write:

> Craig Heath makes the fatal error of mentioning my name... Didn't
> anyone tell you that to say a demon's name is to summon it?

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur:   Why, so can I, or so can any man;
           But will they come when you do call for them?

	- William Shakespeare, Henry IV Part 1, Act III, Scene 1.

(This message is a feeble excuse to make one more point when I've already
said I'd shut up about it:-)

Does it not strike anyone else that it's significant that "Gaffa" is
capitalised in the lyrics?  I can see two possible reasons for this:

1) (The prosaic explanation) Kate has heard people talking about gaffer
   tape, and thought it was a brand name.

2) (My preferred theory) It's deliberately capitalised and misspelt
   to make it resemble a place name, and thereby add another level of
   meaning.

		- Craig @ SCO near London.