Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Can anyone define "Gaffa"

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (Chris Williams)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 95 07:50:53 GMT
Subject: Re: Can anyone define "Gaffa"
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

>Also some images from the Gospel:  "there's a plank in me eye with a
>camel that's trying to get through it".  It's not as rich in catholic or
>biblical allusions as "Why Should I Love You?" though.

   She combines two different Bible quotes into one lyrical turn...

(Paraphrased from a memory that can only recall Kate accuratly)

  "...why dost thou notice the mote in thine brother's eye, and not the
plank in thine own?"

  and

  "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for
a rick man to enter the kindom of heaven."

   This punning usage, the constant alliteration, the internal rhymes,
split rhymes, assonance...cannot be logically reduced down to a simple
joke.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)