Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Gaffa

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (Chris Williams)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 95 07:30:07 GMT
Subject: Re: Gaffa
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

>	Thanks C&V for all of the preliminary meanings of the word Gaffa
>(except you didn't mention the former misspelling of the Israeli city,
>Jaffa :^) ).

   Sorry, I forgot that one...

>	Also, and I believe that it's in Couldbusting, that Kate,
>herself, mentions a part of her reason for using "gaffa."  It's in
>reference to gaffer's tape (duct tape to you yanks), used primarily in
>stage lighting and such.  Being a very sticky tape, it is incredibly
>easy to get tangled up in or "suspended," as the case may be.  Imagine a
>tyro trying to complete a big job that the person knows little about,
>that was the gist of what was penned by her K8ness.

    The reason I didn't mention that one, is that I don't buy it, and
never have. Yes, it was yet another pun, but *hardly* the principle
"meaning" of one of Kate's most complex and oblique songs. We have
shown that Kate contradicts herself and lies when it suits her, and
has offered overly simplified explanations in situations where the
complete version would take too long. I really think that Kate is
having a bit of fun with the "gaffer's tape" story. The word "gaffe"
is far more meaningful in the context of the song. I'd really like
someone to try to defend the "it's gaffer's tape, and only gaffer's
tape" theory in person. I don't believe that anyone could do so with
a straight face.

   Well, we'll settle this at the next convention in the only proper
way...tag-team wrestling.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)