Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Gaffa

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: 02 Mar 1995 00:20:01 GMT
Subject: Re: Gaffa
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <199502250832.AA275301134@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>
chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (Chris Williams) writes:

>  I'd really like a someone to try to defend the "it's gaffer's tape,
>  and only gaffer's tape" theory in person. I don't believe that
>  anyone could do so with a straight face.

I volunteer!  But you'll have to pay for my plane fare to Chicago.

I think you are missing the point, though, Chris, of those who say the
only meaning of "Gaffa" is "gaffer's tape".  It's literal meaning is
only "gaffer's tape", but it is used as a metaphor for some very deep
and confounding principles of life.  By not acknowledging the power
and directness of its superficial meaning, you are missing the
metaphor, and thus the depth of the song.

In my opinion, those who claim that "gaffer's tape" is not the primary
meaning of the word "Gaffa" just don't get the song.  If they can't
see how resonant this metaphor is, then they just cannot possibly be
seeing the most important part of the song.