Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Pornography

From: u3a97@teach.cs.keele.ac.uk (The Silver-Flag Boy)
Date: 2 Mar 1995 19:16:54 GMT
Subject: Re: Pornography
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@gabriel.keele.ac.uk

Lou Fox (fox@panix.com) wrote:
: The Silver-Flag Boy (u3a97@teach.cs.keele.ac.uk) wrote:
: : Kbfreakc (kbfreakc@aol.com) wrote:
: : : Hoorah, hoorah, I couldn't have said it better myself.  Contemporary
: : : feminism tries to teach us that women are oppressed by men.  Like Kate,
: : : you understand that women are just being what they want to be.  It is no

: : I'm not totally sure which article you are replying to... but anyway you are
: : right. Kate is unideological, and ideological warfare of the kind well-known

: I'm assuming you guys are talking about me and the discussion I was
: having about why I believed Kate Bush was a feminism. I did recieve some
: interesting and intelligent replies. Yours are not among that group.
Why? Because you couldn't pigeon-hole me?

: Feminism is not about hate and neither is what I wrote. In my honest
: opinion, Kate Bush is a feminist and her work is feminist work, whether
: or not you think so or she thinks so. Feminism is not a dirty word and
			 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Up to her to decide isn't it?

: you can't make it one. I consider anyone who writes or sings or draws or
: whatevers about what it is truly like to be a woman and how being a woman
: is played out in modern society to be a feminist. Is that a hate filled
: statement? Feminism isn't about hate; it's about loving women. So deal
: with it. And I do think a discussion of feminism is relevent to the
: board, though I'd prefer not to have it because I understand that the
: main mission of gaffa is to spread Kate info.

I never said feminism was a dirty word. I just hate all gender-warfare
politics. And I think that Kate's negative comments on feminism (I have the
magazine, it was an edition of VOX) derive from that not uncommon instinct.
All ideologues, whether feminist, anti-feminist, post-feminist,or masculist,
or whatever pretentious label they decide to call themselves, are as bad as
each other in putting forward silly bogus arguments for the sake of
polarizing society along gender lines. That sort of thing belongs with
debates on political correctness and nutcases like Rush Lamebrain.
	And Kate's music, most of the time, is not overtly political. And
feminism is a political ideology. As kbfreak said at the end of the the post
that started this, Kate just wants to be herself. Not feminist, not
post-feminist, not anti-feminist, just herself. So discussions on any kind of
political ideology is not relevant to the board, because that is not what
Kate's about.

Alex

CGCE, 108 Holly Cross, Keele, Staffordshire, ST5 5JB
u3a97@cc.keele.ac.uk

Children of England, why do you run for your lives,
When you need someone I'm gonna show?
Sandra