Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Totally Non-Kate (sorry)

From: Fiona McQuarrie <fmcquarr@upei.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 15:49:50 -0400 (AST)
Subject: Totally Non-Kate (sorry)
To: "Kate (list) Bush" <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

This has nothing to do with Kate directly and I apologize and I know I
flame people on other lists for doing this....but I can't let this pass.

Catharine MacKinnon's anti-porn statute is NOT 'the law in Canada'. The
law in Canada covering such questions is regional AND national (e.g. each
province has the right to censor materials it considers unsuitable for
that area; there is also the power to censor nationally, i.e. to stop
material from entering the country.) I am hard pressed to think of any
national or provincial statute that even vaguely resembles the MacKinnon
statute - the law here, at least in application, is as jumbled and
inconsistent as in the US.

I have seen a couple of articles in the US press along these lines lately
making Canada out to be some sort of censors' paradise, and while I will
admit that Canada Customs displays no rhyme or reason in deciding what can
or cannot enter the country, I would not for a minute argue that it is
worse here than in the US.

ObKate: the vagaries of Canada Customs can be seen in the mysterious
impounding of the Canadian masters for the tapetree! "ooh! a woman in a
gold body stocking! lock that one up!" ;)

Cheers, Fiona