Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: This Woman's Work

From: dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: 16 Feb 1995 21:35:06 GMT
Subject: Re: This Woman's Work
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Horace 'The Eye' Buntley (cerebus@ebhon.jnst.uor.edu) wrote:
: For some reason, this is the song that consistantly makes me cry.  Over
: the last few days (sorta emotionally turbulent ones, true), all I had to
: do was call up the lyrics to get the song stuck in my head, and cry my
: eyes out.  *Sigh*...Am I a senimental dweeb, or what?

No you are not Horace.  This song is IMO Kate's most affecting song in
her catalogue.  My first exposure to it was at the movie theatre and
the combination of the visuals with the song were just too much.
I teared up and barely maintained my composure.  It did that every time
I heard it after.  I bought the Neutral Zone bootleg of Kate Bush Live
because they lifted TWW from the soundtrack CD and added it to the
Hammersmith show along with some other live performances.  Then it
arrived on TSW an CD single.

The lyrics are now even more piognant for my wife and I.  After experiencing
the joy of our first son's birth, an event that makes me think of TWW,
the lyrics about regretting not doing or showing things to a loved
one rang so true as we saw that child die of brain cancer less than
two years later.  My wife cannot listen to the song anymore, and it makes
me cry when I do.  Still, I love the song.

This Woman's Work, Under the Ivy, and, Moments of Pleasure all produce
a very emotional response from me.

Derek
Derek H. Langsford                               dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu
Dept. of Biology                                 Tel. (619) 594 2885
San Diego State University