Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

This Woman's Work

From: rod@aztec.co.za (Rod Suskin)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 1995 18:37:55 +2
Subject: This Woman's Work
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hi Everyone,
Recently, when listening to "This Woman's Work" on Sensual World, I suddenly
realised that it sounds like Kate is saying goodbye to her mother, who died
just before Red Shoes was released (5 yrs later.) [Strangely, though, the 1st
verse of the song sounds like it's about child-birthing, although it does not
seem to relate to the rest of the song at all!]
Does anyone know if Kate's mum first got sick in 1989? Listen to the song &
it really sounds like she's preparing to say goodbye to someone she loves who
is dying. Also, it is fascinating to compare it with "Moments of Pleasure",
where it sounds like Kate is actually making direct reference back to Woman's
Work & hence completing the story about mum:(i.e. "Give me those moments back"
- Woman's Work;"Just let us try to give these moments back to those we love,
to those who will survive." - Moments of Pleasure.)

Am I nuts, or does anyone know more about this? (of course, I could be
rehashing ancient news, in which case apologies!) At any rate, a close
re-listen to Woman's Work reveals it to be one of the most moving songs Kate
has ever done, and if not specifically about her mother proves to be sadly
prophetic.

Rod.