Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Under the Ivy

From: JAbusheery@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 11:10:46 -0500
Subject: Re: Under the Ivy
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

Maybe I just like things simple, but why does there HAVE to be such deep
meaning about every song?  Not just Kate's but it seems on every list I read
people need deeper meanings about song there sometimes there really are.

Personally I have always thought of "Under the Ivy" as being about a woman's
quite place to go when she needs a break from it all.  I have always imagined
a small white gazebo with rose bushes (white roses of course) surrounding it
and to get there you have to leave the main grounds of this house and follow
a path under a trellis covered in ivy.  I imagined a view looking onto the
water, maybe a large lake with mountains on the other side.  And this song
takes place during a party that was at the house and she just needed to get
away from all the people.

Maybe I came up with this because I generally hate parties (my mother bred
this into me) I prefer being with small groups and then I may want to be
alone especially if it's a weekend trip, I can take only so much. (I'm saying
this knowing one of my husband's best friends is reading this, but let it be
known, I wanted out of my own wedding recption after 2 hours)  I'm also a
hopeless romantic witha vivid imagination so painting scenes in my head is a
bad habit of mine.

Taking life for face value-
     -Jennifer

P.S. My wedding bouquet was white roses and ivy