Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sojourn...

From: schew@tis.com (Steve Chew)
Date: 26 Jan 1995 21:37:15 GMT
Subject: Sojourn...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.tori-amos, rec.music.gaffa, alt.music.alternative, rec.music.folk, rec.music.misc

Hello,

	A few weeks ago someone posted about a band called Sojourn.  I
checked out the band's WWW page and decided to give them a try.  It turned
out to be a great decision because I love this album!  The person first
posted to the Tori Amos group, but I thought I'd also let people on other
groups know too since I think Sojourn would have a fairly wide appeal.  If
you're not interested, please just skip the rest...
	The music uses a lot of acoustic guitar and piano and keeps your
attention just like Tori Amos' music (though don't expect it to sound like
Tori's music).  Jennifer Nobel (Sojourn's vocalist) has a breathtakingly
beautiful voice and she uses it very well, IMHO.  Her singing has enough
variety to keep it interesting over many listens and she has an excellent
sense of melody.  The music complements the vocals very well and is
interesting in its own right.  I've been listening to this album a lot ever
since I got it and I keep finding myself wanting to put it back in the
CD player.  I can't get enough of songs like "Whisper" (which creates a
wonderful atmosphere with the dynamics and backing vocals) and "I Know What
It Means".  I enjoy the entire album!  :-)   I got their 2nd album
"Further On..." so that's the one I'd recommend trying first.  I've ordered
their other CD now though and I'm looking forward to hearing it.
	I'm very glad that person posted about Sojourn -- they're a real find.
I'd recommend them to Tori Amos fans and fans of other female singers too.
They don't sound like Tori directly, but I think they've got a lot of the
same basic things that make me listen to Tori (good song writing and wonderful
vocals).
	Sojourn is just getting started so you won't be able to find any of
their CDs in the stores, unfortunately.  I read about them on the WWW page:
http://ssnet.com/~deltufjp/sojourn.html   If you can't get WWW I can send
you the band's info.  If you want to try the CD, you can just call the
band's management directly:  "O" Management  at (610) 649-7991.  That's
what I did.  If you want an address to write to, just email me.
	Anyway, I thought I'd pass on this information since I like Sojourn
so much and I thought that maybe some of you would too.  Are there are other
fans of Sojourn out there?

					Steve

P.S.  I've sent email to the guy, Joe, (deltufjp@esvax.dnet.dupont.com) who
	first posted about Sojourn, and he's been very nice about telling
	me more about the band.  Thanks Joe!  :-)

--
Steve Chew - schew@tis.com - http://www.clark.net/pub/iz/home.html
"It's hard to seize the day when first you've got to grapple with the morning."