Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MisK.

From: st56t@Rosie.UH.EDU
Date: 27 Jan 1995 20:17:09 GMT
Subject: Re: MisK.
To: rec-music-gaffa@Ames.ARC.NASA.GOV
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <950127122623_1009888@aol.com>, IEDSRI@aol.com writes:
>     On the other hand, she has also on occasion admitted
>that she had not been conscious of a song's meaning when she
>wrote it: Love and Anger is an example.

As a songwriter and musician, I'd just like to say that it's
extremely comforting to hear Kate say this, as this is a
common occurrence in my work.  In fact, I often have no clue
what something I write is about, and then about 2 weeks later
something in my own life eerily matches up with it.
[cue Twilight Zone theme...]

Oh, well, this is a group about Kate, not me.  Sorry to trouble
you all.  I just was gratified that I'm not alone in this feeling.

>Regarding Walk Straight Down the Middle: remember that this
>song was not part of The Sensual World.  It was intended
>by Kate to be a b-side. Only when EMI requested a "bonus"
>track for the CD did Kate agree to add WSDtM.  You'll
>notice that there's an unusually long pause between the
>end of TWW and WSDtM (at least on IED's copy).
>
>The song is NOT, however, a "mistake". It is a supreme masterpiece, and a
>moment of almost holy, redemptive
>beauty for our generally shameful and disgusting century.

I couldn't have said it better myself, IED, though I *did* try
a few articles ago...

>-- Andrew Marvick (IED)
>   S        R         I

Take care, all.