Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Major non-KaTe content: What's in a name?

From: asteg@k12.oit.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor))
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 1995 08:15:27 GMT
Subject: Re: Major non-KaTe content: What's in a name?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.oit.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, Connie_Lofton@sonymusic.com (Connie Lofton) says:

>An interesting thread, though, certainly capable of turning into a volatile
>one.  All my comments were said with respect to Stuart with no "personal"
>attack on his character intended, so before he or any of his potential
>defenders flame me, I just wanted to say that.   I just couldn't let this
>discussion go by without contributing my $.02 worth and I welcome others'
>thoughts on all of this, privately if you prefer.  This is something we all
>have to live and deal with, and all it's ultimately about is just wanting a
>little consideration for and from people in our dealings with them during this
>lifetime, which is not too much to ask but is certainly one of the hardest
>things for us to learn.
>
>--Connie

I'm glad you posted your reply.  To simply brand all use of group names
under the generic title of "labelling" and conclude that all of it is
equally offensive is a grotesque oversimplification of how language works.
The effect of name-calling is not symmetrical between men and women, gays
and straights, "blacks and whites" etc. because the balance of power between
these groups is not (yet?) equal.  There is simply no word as denigrating to
caucasians as "nigger" is to african-americans.  Boys still suffer from
being called a "girl" (or some worse word) than girls do from being called a
"boy."  There is no word that can be hurled at heterosexuals that has the
effect of "Faggots!" being shouted from a passing car.  As a white
heterosexual male, I'm nearly name-proof.

	On a more pedestrian note, this is the FIRST place on the internet
that I've heard "newbie" used as a term of abuse.  Everywhere else I've
been, it's been used BY "newbies" as a self-deprecating acknowledgement of
inexperience, and by "oldbies" as an affectionate handle for newcomers.

Leave it to Lovehounds to make an issue of it....

Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt