Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-42 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rocket Man and other videos

From: uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 94 21:19 MET
Subject: Rocket Man and other videos
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

As I stated in last month's small & tiny FAQ-diff, I found some interesting
video tapes on my trip to Australia. These tapes are made by a company
called Nightlife which rents them to night clubs, discos, bars etc. in
Australia. Read on, there's a story & some questions behind the listing.

Nightlife - Best Of Chart - BC05 - C11-C13 - Mar92-May92
    1992 (May)
    Kate contributes with Rocket Man
VHS Nightlife                        Aus/?        BC04/BC05
    PAL hifi, cover inconsistently numbered

        Nightlife - Best Of Chart - BC05 - C11-C13-Mar92-May92 91:41
          1) Radio Freedom - I Can Feel It                      3:50
          2) The Rockmelons - That Word (L.O.V.E.)              3:44
          3) Michael Jackson - In The Closet                    5:27
          4) Indecent Obsession - Kiss Me                       4:04
          5) Michael Jackson - Black Or White                   4:32
          6) Jenny Morris - Zero                                1:46
          7) Frente - Ordinary Angels                           2:25
          8) Melissa Etheridge - Ain't It Heavy                 3:49
          9) Troy Newman - Whisper                              4:24
         10) Maybe Dolls - Nervous Kid                          3:35
         11) John Mellencamp - Again Tonight                    3:11
         12) Nirvana - Come As You Are                          3:32
         13) Def Leppard - Let's Get Rocked                     4:53
         14) J. Blundell & J. Reyne - Way Out West              3:56
         15) The Cure - High                                    3:24
         16) Marc Cohn - Walking In Memphis                     4:38
         17) The Temptations - My Girl                          2:38
         18) Crowded House - Weather With You                   3:40
         19) Shanice - I Love Your Smile                        4:15
         20) Annie Lennox - Why                                 4:45
         21) Bryan Adams - Died & Gone To Heaven                5:31
         22) Mr Big - To Be With You                            3:16
         23) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge           4:22
         24) Kate Bush - Rocket Man                             4:46

Nightlife - Chart C13 - May 92
    1992 (May)
    Kate contributes with Rocket Man
VHS Nightlife                        Aus/?        C13
    PAL hifi

        Nightlife - Chart C13 - May 92                           :
          1) Michael Jackson - In The Closet                    5:28
          2) Kylie Minogue - Give me just a little more time    2:50
          3) Teen Queens - Be My Baby                           3:49
          4) Melissa - Skin To Skin                             3:37
          5) 2 Unlimited - Get Ready For This                   2:39
          6) Deborah Blando - Boy                               2:58
          7) Yothu Yindi - Djapana                              3:52
          8) Ce Ce Peniston - We got A Love Thang               3:36
          9) Right Said Fred - Deeply Dippi                     3:09
         10) Rozalla - Are You Ready To Fly                     3:49
         11) Young MC - Keep It In Your Pants                   4:22
         12) Salt N' Pepa - Let's Talk About Sex (UK Vers)      3:30
         13) The Rockmelons - That Word (L.O.V.E.)              3:39
         14) J. Blundell & Jo Reyne - Way Out West              3:56
         15) The Cure - High                                    3:27
         16) U2 - One                                           4:29
         17) Mr. Big - To Be With You                           3:17
         18) Def Leppard - Let's Get Rocket                     4:54
         19) Frente - Ordinary Angels                           2:27
         20) Crowded House - Weather With You                   3:40
         21) Martika - Coloured Kisses                          4:08
         22) Prince & the NPG - Money Don't Matter 2 Night      4:46
         23) Annie Lennox - Why                                 4:49
         24) Kate Bush - Rocket Man                             4:47

Nightlife - Classic CL06 - Jan 92
    1992 (Jan)
    Kate contributes with Babooshka
VHS Nightlife                        Aus/?        CL06
    PAL hifi

        Nightlife - Classic CL06 - Jan 92                       :
          1) Janet Jackson - Nasty                              3:52
          2) Fatback - Bus Stop                                 4:17
          3) The Beatles - Please Please Me                     1:59
          4) The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)         3:32
          5) ZZ Top - Gimme All Your Loving                     3:55
          6) Van Halen - Jump                                   3:49
          7) Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al                    4:30
          8) Gypsy Kings - Bamboleo                             3:47
          9) Melissa Etheridge - Bring Me Some Water            3:50
         10) Kate Bush - Babooshka                              3:20
         11) The Angels - Shadow Boxer                          2:42
         12) Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf                 3:32
         13) Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax                  3:52
         14) C&C Music Factory - Gonna Make You Sweat (12")     6:50
         15) Betty Boo - Where Are You Baby                     3:21
         16) Natalie Cole - Pink Cadillac (12")                 7:22
         17) Corey Heart - Sunglasses At Night                  3:47
         18) Huey Lewis And The News - The Power Of Love        3:47
         19) The Monitors - Singing In The 80's                 3:07
         20) Hunters And Collectors - Turn A Blind Eye          4:25
         21) Pete Shelley - Homosapien                          2:52
         22) Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina                       4:11
         23) Dynamic Hepnotics - The Wrong Way To Love          3:56
         24) Pat Benatar - We Belong                            3:30

Nightlife - Dance D30 - Oct 93
    1993 (Oct)
    Kate contributes with the UK version of Rubberband Girl which has, contrary
    to TLTCTC on video, black stripes on top & bottom
VHS Nightlife                        Aus/?        D30
    PAL hifi

        Nightlife - Dance D30 - Oct 93                           :
          1) Captain Hollywood - Only With You                  3:37
          2) Pet Shop Boys - Go West                            4:44
          3) Carmen Electra - Fantasia Erotica                  4:03
          4) Salt 'N' Pepa - Shoop                              3:56
          5) Bitty McLean - It Keeps Rainin'                    3:45
          6) Mavis Staples - The Voice                          4:11
          7) Credit To The Nation - Call It What You Want       3:56
          8) K7 - Come Baby Come                                3:55
          9) Ice Cube feat. Das EFX - Check Yo Self             4:31
         10) Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince - Boom I Shake The Room  3:39
         11) De La Soul - Breakadawn                            4:14
         12) SWV - Right Here (Human Nature)                    3:38
         13) Jade - I Wanna Love You                            4:00
         14) Michelle Gayle - Looking Up                        3:48
         15) Babyface - For The Cool In You                     3:50
         16) M-People - One Night In Heaven                     3:38
         17) Oni 3 - Break From The Old Routine                 3:16
         18) Tina Turner - Disco Inferno                        4:00
         19) Freddie Mercury - Living On My Own (Remix)         3:29
         20) D:Ream - Unforgiven                                3:29
         21) Eskimos & Egypt - UK-USA                           3:53
         22) Chill Factor - Crying Out Loud (AO)                4:46
         23) Kate Bush - Rubberband Girl                        4:27
         24) Taylor Dane - Send Me A Lover                      4:26

Nightlife - Easy E02 - Dec 91
    1991 (Dec)
    Kate contributes with Cloudbusting
VHS Nightlife                        Aus/?        E02
    PAL hifi

        Nightlife - Easy E02 - Dec 91                         183:11
          1) Phil Collins - I Wish It Would Rain Down           5:16
          2) Pink Floyd - On The Turning Away                   6:25
          3) Dire Straits - Calling Elvis                       4:11
          4) Toni Childs - I've Got To Go Now                   4:36
          5) Richard Marx - Right Here Waiting                  4:15
          6) Sinİad O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U             4:46
          7) Bob Marley - One Love                              2:40
          8) Brian Eno & John Cale - One Word                   3:37
          9) U2 - Found What I'm Looking For                    4:20
         10) Living Color - The Solace Of You                   3:22
         11) Kate Ceberano - Brave                              5:30
         12) Richard Clapton - Capricorn Dancer                 3:10
         13) Crowded House - Fall At Your Feet                  3:14
         14) The Carpenters - Close To You                      3:23
         15) Jim Diamond - I Should Have Known Better           4:04
         16) Suzanne Vega - Marlene On The Wall                 3:38
         17) The Black Sorrows - Hold It Up To The Mirror       4:13
         18) The Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me            4:40
         19) Daryl Braitemaite - Don't Hold Back Your Love      4:44
         20) Cris De Burgh - Lady In Red                        3:57
         21) Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World           2:23
         22) Sam Brown - Stop                                   4:04
         23) Bodeans - Good Things                              4:08
         24) Tracy Chapman - Fast Car                           4:25
         25) Richard Pleasance - Don't Cry                      3:49
         26) Luther Vandross - Don't Want To Be A Fool          4:32
         27) Natalie & Nat 'King' Cole - Unforgettable          3:21
         28) Australian Craml - Reckless                        4:57
         29) Suzanne Clachair - A Loving Heart                  3:21
         30) Barry Connick Jnr. - It Had To Be You              2:39
         31) Marc Cohn - Silver Thunderbird                     4:10
         32) Chris Isaak - Blue Spanish Sky                     3:56
         33) Tanita Tikaram - Twist In My Sobriety              3:49
         34) James Morrison - Snappy Boo                        2:51
         35) Rod Stewart - Broken Arrow                         4:14
         36) Kate Ceberano - Dindi                              4:22
         37) Neil Diamond - If There Were No Dreams             3:07
         38) Nick Cave - The Ship Song                          4:51
         39) Stephen Cummings - Who Listens To The Radio        4:23
         40) Suzanne Clachair - Tristesse                       3:09
         41) Peter Blankley - Quicksand                         3:48
         42) Crowded House - Better Be Home Soon                3:06
         43) The Commitments - Try A Little Tenderness          4:29
         44) Kate Bush - Cloudbursting [SIC!]                   6:53
         45) Kenny G. - Theme From Dying Young                  3:58

Nightlife - Easy E04 - March 92
    1992 (Mar)
    Kate contributes with Babooshka
VHS Nightlife                        Aus/?        E04
    PAL hifi

        Nightlife - Easy E04 - March 92                       180:09
          1) Neil Diamond - Love On The Rocks                   2:23
          2) Dr. Hook - Only Sixteen                            2:37
          3) America - You Can Do Magic                         3:45
          4) Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven                     4:27
          5) Tony Joe White - Tunica Motel                      4:18
          6) The Revelators - What Does It Take                 3:45
          7) Nick Cave - The Weeping Song                       4:07
          8) The Smithereens - Too Much Passion                 3:46
          9) Daryl Braitemaite - Nothing To Lose                3:47
         10) Celine Dion - Beauty And The Beast                 3:58
         11) John Lennon - Woman                                3:21
         12) Kate Bush - Babooshka                              3:20
         13) Ofra Haza - Daw Da Hiya                            4:34
         14) Marc Almond - My Hand Over My Heart                4:50
         15) Little Heroes - One Perfect Day                    3:32
         16) Paul McCartney - Ebony And Ivory                   3:42
         17) Juice Newton - Angel Of The Morning                3:51
         18) Moving Pictures - What About Me                    3:29
         19) Bob Seger - The Fire Inside                        4:33
         20) Neil Diamond - Don't Turn Around                   3:34
         21) The Sharp - You                                    4:17
         22) Marc Cohn - True Companion                         3:33
         23) Diesel - Tip Of My Tongue                          3:50
         24) Texas - In My Heart                                4:02
         25) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge           4:24
         26) Wet Wet Wet - Goodnight Girl                       3:35
         27) Melissa Etheridge - Ain't It Heavy                 3:52
         28) The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun              4:09
         29) Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy                  3:01
         30) Paul Simon - The obvious child                     4:26
         31) 1927 - The other side                              5:15
         32) Troy Newman - Whisper                              4:25
         33) Tori Amos - Silent All These Years                 4:03
         34) Julian Joseph - The Other Side Of Town             3:43
         35) The Chocolate Cake - A Midwife's Tale              3:21
         36) Air Supply - Making Love Out Of Nothing            4:50
         37) Bette Midler - In My Life                          3:06
         38) Gypsy Kings - Sin Ella                             3:06
         39) Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al                    4:31
         40) Buffy Sainte-Marie - The Big Ones Get Away         3:32
         41) Diana Ross - When You Tell Me                      3:59
         42) Richard Marx - Hazard                              4:42
         43) Beverly Craven - Promise Me                        3:32
         44) Split Eni - I Got You                              3:27
         45) Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger                      3:08
         46) Paul McCartney - Take It Away                      4:00
         47) The Animals - Don't Let Me Misunderstood           2:10

Nightlife - Easy E15 - Oct 93
    1993 (Oct)
    Kate contributes with Suspended In Gaffa, Willie Nelson & Sinead O'Connor
    contribute with a cover version of Don't Give Up
VHS Nightlife                        Aus/?        E15
    PAL hifi

        Nightlife - Easy E15 - Oct 93                         179:53
          1) John Paul Young - Love Is In The Air (Orig. Ver)   3:18
          2) Eurythmics - Who's That Girl                       3:39
          3) The The - This Is The Day                          3:41
          4) Robert Plant - Big Log                             4:54
          5) Lucky Peterson - Emission Tarratata                4:21
          6) George Benson - Love Of My Life                    3:57
          7) The Housemartins - Caravan Of Love                 3:26
          8) O.M.D. - Dream Of Me                               4:03
          9) Gabrielle - Dreams                                 3:20
         10) The Allniters - Love & Affection                   3:24
         11) The Police - Walking On The Moon                   4:23
         12) Dire Straits - Private Investigations              5:31
         13) Stevie Wonder - Ribbon In The Sky                  3:35
         14) Willie Nelson & Sinead O'Connor - Don't Give Up    4:47
         15) Tim Finn - Persuasion                              3:47
         16) The Motels - Suddenly Last Summer                  3:25
         17) Barenaked Ladies - What A Good Boy                 3:46
         18) Headless Chickens - Juice                          3:46
         19) Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons - Walk On By               3:45
         20) The Pretenders - 2000 Miles                        3:28
         21) Kate Bush - Suspended In Gaffa                     3:46
         22) Robert Plant - In The Mood                         4:48
         23) Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good                    2:18
         24) 10cc - The Things We Do For Love                   3:17
         25) The Go-Betweens - Cattle & Cane                    3:48
         26) Queen - Radio Ga Ga                                5:36
         27) Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street                      4:15
         28) The Motels - Total Control                         5:34
         29) Divinyls - Back To The Wall                        4:23
         30) The Beatles - Long & Winding Road                  3:23
         31) Rod Stewart - Have I Told You Lately               3:58
         32) Hot Chocolate - Emma                               3:49
         33) The Police - Wrapped Around Your Finger            4:41
         34) Madonna - La Isla Bonita                           3:50
         35) Madonna - Rain                                     4:19
         36) Lionel Richie - All Night Long                     3:17
         37) Pilot - January                                    3:29
         38) The Beatles - Let It Be                            3:37
         39) Tina Turner - What's Love Got To Do With It        3:33
         40) Diesel - Masterplan                                4:50
         41) The Badloves - I Remember                          3:06
         42) Bjork - Human Behaviour                            4:04
         43) Died Pretty - D.C.                                 4:20
         44) Archie Roach - Walking Into Doors                  4:46
         45) Sade - Cherish The Day                             4:22

Nightlife - Easy E18 - March 94
    1994 (March)
    Kate contributes with Moments Of Pleasure
VHS Nightlife                    Aus            E18
    PAL hifi

        Nightlife - Easy E18 - March 94                       192:23
          1) The Righteous Brothers - Lost That Lovin' Feeling  3:34
          2) Michael Boilton - Said I Loved You... But          4:58
          3) Bryan Adams - E Do It For You                      4:04
          4) Extreme - More Than Words                          4:09
          5) Jackson Browne - I'm Alive                         4:57
          6) Chris Isaak - Two Hearts                           3:31
          7) John Foreman - Melon                               3:11
          8) David Stewart & Candy Dulfer - Lily Was Here       4:09
          9) Martika - Love... Thy Will Be Done                 4:05
         10) John Farnham - Age Of Reason                       4:49
         11) Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U             4:52
         12) Daryl Braitemaite - The Horses                     4:05
         13) INXS - By My Side                                  3:00
         14) The Go-Betweens - Bachelor Kisses                  3:20
         15) Paul Kelly - Song From The 16th Floor              3:42
         16) The Pogues - Tuesday Morning                       3:24
         17) Nick Cave - The Ship Song                          4:55
         18) Richard Pleasance - Don't Cry                      3:54
         19) Divinyls - Sleeping Beauty                         3:39
         20) Crowded House - Nails In My Feet                   3:30
         21) Kate Bush - Moments Of Pleasure                    5:11
         22) Mariah Carey - Without You                         3:51
         23) Gloria Estefan - Cuts Both Ways                    3:09
         24) Prince - Pink Cashmere                             3:36
         25) Babyface - Rock Bottom                             4:02
         26) Enigma - Return To Innocence                       4:47
         27) Boy George - Everything I Own                      3:50
         28) Jimmy Cliff - I Can See Clearly Now                3:05
         29) UB40 - I Got You Babe                              3:22
         30) Dave Kox - You Make Me Smile                       4:06
         31) Daryl Hall - Philly Mood                           4:42
         32) The Cruel Sea - Seems Twice                        2:44
         33) Baby Animals - Lights Out At Eleven                5:15
         34) Velvet Underground - Venus In Furs                 5:13
         35) Pink Floyd - The Final Cut                         4:52
         36) Tanita Tikaram - Twist In My Sobriety              3:49
         37) Phil Collins - I Wish It Would Rain Down           5:14
         38) John Farnham - Angels                              4:43
         39) U2 - Stay (Fareway, So Close!)                     4:54
         40) Chris Isaak - Dark Moon                            2:25
         41) Sting - Mad About You                              3:45
         42) Peter Blankley - Quicksand                         3:51
         43) Nan Vermon - My Guitar Gently Weeps                4:14
         44) Eleanor McEvoy - Only A Woman's Heart              3:30
         45) Marc Cohn - Rainy Season                           4:01

Nightlife - Easy E21 - July 94
    1994 (Jul)
    Kate contributes with The Sensual World
VHS Nightlife                    Aus            E21
    PAL hifi

        Nightlife - Easy E21 - July 94                        179:36
          1) Wet Wet Wet - Love Is All Around                   4:08
          2) The Beautiful South - Everybody's Talking          2:30
          3) Frente - Lovely                                    3:17
          4) UB40 - C'est La Vie                                4:19
          5) Des'ree - I Ain't Moving                           3:28
          6) Erasure - Always                                   3:53
          7) Big Mountain - Baby I Love Your Way                4:20
          8) Maxi Priest - Close To You                         3:50
          9) Roachford - Only To Be With You                    3:14
         10) UB40 & Robert Palmer - I'll Be Your Baby Tonight   3:20
         11) Michael Bolton - Lean On Me                        4:12
         12) Julio Iglesias - Crazy                             3:05
         13) Elton John - Can You Feel The Love Tonight         3:55
         14) Ricky Lee Jones - Stewart's Coat                   4:29
         15) Youssou NDour - 7 Seconds                          4:20
         16) The Rembrandts - Just The Way It Is Baby           3:52
         17) Mother Earth - Jessie                              4:12
         18) Everything But The Girl
                 - Only Living Boy In New York                  4:07
         19) Morrissey - The More You Ignore Me...              3:39
         20) INXS - Freedom Deep                                4:03
         21) Tori Amos - God                                    3:52
         22) Hunters And Collectors - Back In The Hole          4:25
         23) Pink Floyd - On The Turning Away                   6:27
         24) Guns N' Roses - Patience                           5:45
         25) Prince - Purple Rain                               6:42
         26) Roxette - Crash! Boom! Bang!                       4:25
         27) Khane - Readynb My Love                            3:32
         28) Chaka Demos & Pliers - I Wanna Be Your Man         3:47
         29) Janet Jackson - Anytime Anyplace                   4:26
         30) Black Box - Fantasy                                3:20
         31) Ben E. King - Stand By Me                          2:57
         32) J. Blundell & J. Reyne - Way Out West              3:57
         33) Vika & Linda - When Will You Fall For Me?          3:42
         34) Gota & Heart Of Gold - Someday                     4:41
         35) Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories - Stay                    2:58
         36) Chris Bailey - Everything I Need                   4:22
         37) Bob Geldof - Crazy                                 4:24
         38) Living Colour - The Solace Of You                  3:23
         39) Edie Brickell & Bohemians - What I Am              3:55
         40) Blue Rodeo - Five Days In May                      4:16
         41) Rebecka Torsqvist - Mary Mary                      4:35
         42) Fiona Lee Maynard - Not Crying Anymore             3:52
         43) Kate Bush - Sensual World€[SIC!]                   3:38
         44) Peter Gabriel - Lovetown                           5:28

Each video bears the Nightlife logo in the beginning of the videos, together with
song title & artist.

The story how I did come across this info is a bit interesting:

On my recent trip to Australia I was going with a group in a bus. One night
we were in a disco, and I said that this wasn't really my music (the music
the disco played). Now to make me more happy, one of the girls in our group
asked the VJ (not a DJ, Australian discos most often play videos instead of
records) about whether he could help my taste. Well, he couldn't (or else
the disco would've been quite empty quite fast, something which I already
told the girl inquiring for me), but on returning to me the girl said the
VJ had several Kate videos.

Well, that did cost me an hour with a bent back writing notes down on a piece
of paper standing next to the VJ while the VJ played the usual disco stuff.
This hour brought me the first three video tapes (those without total
playing time), three 24-track-tapes. Finding them amongst the 100+
tapes he got was easy, since the whole stock is in a computer database
which also controls the two VCRs - you select the tracks, the computer asks
for the tapes and fast forwards, plays, rewinds and ejects them automatically.

Two nights later we were in another bar which had the same NightLife video
system running, but with far less tapes. Or so it seemed. At least there
were about 2 dozen tapes lying next to the computer. But this time the
computer found 6 more and one or two of the other ones - the main stock
of video tapes was not lying next to the computer... Anyhow, with 6 more
tapes (now some had 40+ titles) I didn't want to sit there and write down
all the stuff (typing is so much faster), so I took my video camera and
just filmed the tape's back covers.

Several people did ask me what I was doing...

I also found out that it costs the bar Aus-$250 per week to rent the
whole system, tapes included.

Anyhow, I also have the address and a poll-free (in Australia) phone
number of the company:

   Nightlife Video Head Office
   Unit 7A, Lang Business Centre
   97 Castlemaine Street, Mitlon, Qld. 4064
   PO Box 135, Paddington, Qld. 4064
   Australia
   (07) 367 1045, fax: (07) 369 8376
   008 77 3468

Can anyone of our Australian friends try to inquire whether

a) it's neccessary to rent the system to get the tapes (without owning them) and
b) it's possible to find out whether there are more tapes with Kate stuff?

Thanks!

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2]