Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-42 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A question

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 08:23:57 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: A question
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

On Tue, 27 Dec 1994, K8BUSHFAN wrote:

> This one has been bugging me for five years now.
>
> At the end of Cloudbusting, you hear a train coming to a stop.  Why?  What
> is the significance?  I read A Book of Dreams and there isn't any
> reference to trains.
>
> A thought came to me one night.  I was in bed and I heard a distant train
> whistle.  It then occured to me that this whistle had the same timbre as
> the beginning chord in Running up that Hill (RUTH). Also, the drums in
> RUTH sound like a locomotive. Now I know HoL is about different types of
> love, but how does this train tie in?
>
> I don't understand.
>
> Ken

I believe in an interview once Kate said that they just couldn't figure
out how to end the song. It went along great then just seemed to trail off
and fall to pieces as the end. They tried all sorts of things, and just
happened across the train sound on a whim. It just seemed to fit and give
the song a sense of clousre, so they used it. I'm afraid there's no deeper
significance that than. :-}

scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us == Stuart M. Castergine   |              ---
All young gentle dreams drowning                     | "Mmm, yes."   |/
In life's grief                                      |               |\
Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|