Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"goose moon" in L'Amour... lyrics

From: Joseph_Shupe_at_W-OH8@smtpgate.ssmc.noaa.gov
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 94 15:18:03 EST
Subject: "goose moon" in L'Amour... lyrics
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

    kln@crl.com recently asked about the reference to 'goose moon' in the
    lyrics of "L'Amour Looks Something Like You"...
    I looked through my copy of _Brewer's_Dictionary_of_Phrase_and_Fable,
    and although there's no direct reference to goose moon, there are
    some other 'goose' refs that indicate it has to do w/ a full moon
    around September 29, aka Michaelmas Day. Geese were generally fatted
    and plentiful 'round this time, which was a 3/4 year day when rents
    were due, accounts being settled, etc... this seems to fit (to an
    extent) with the lyrics.  Hope this helps, Karen.

    Joe /themadflutist\ Shupe
    jshupe@smtpgate.ssmc.noaa.gov

    "In ten years there's gonna be 1,000,000 lawyers..."
                           - Tom Paxton
                             (lyric written 7 years ago. <shudder>)