Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

spirituality

From: ROSEN RENEE LARCADE <rrosen@falcon.cc.ukans.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 16:35:33 -0600 (CST)
Subject: spirituality
To: love-hounds <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

I still can't spell:-)  Well, hopefully my spaceyness brightened the day
for people:-)  It's got to be more entertaining than all the bickering!

I'm somewhat new to this list, so I don't want to get into fights/flame
wars right off, but I feel that I should state my opinions.  I think the
whole situation could be solved very simply.  Someone on the pro-Tarot
side who wants to take the responsibility for doing it & organizing it,
post a message to that sort, then everyone who wants to help, E-Mail
them.  (The only problem then is if more than one person wants to be in
charge, but then all the interested parties can work it out between them
& then post who is in charge.)  Then, if/when the deck is ever finished,
post how to get it for those who are interested.  Those who are
interested, buy it.  Those who aren't, ignore it.  I, for one, would be
interested in buying a deck but not in making it.  I just don't have time
for it, sorry.  The people who are for an ordinary deck of cards, make a
set of them.  Personally, I'd be interested in both.

As for all the bickering about different spiritual beliefs, I think it
would be better if people just adopted the policy of "Live and let
live."  In other words, don't shove your beliefs down people's throats
(whether Christian, Wiccan, agnostic, athiest,etc.), but don't think that
you have to completely avoid the subject.  I, for one, find it
interesting when people share beliefs that are different from mine and
then explain why they hold them--it is enlightening about the person and it
helps me to examine why I hold my own beliefs (often strengthening my arguments
for my own beliefs in the process.)  In other words, it can be a learning
experience for all involved.

As for Kate's beliefs, it is irrelevant if hers are the same as mine--I'm
a fan of her music regardless.  The beliefs of the artist are not always
the same as the beliefs of her fans.  I myself quite enjoy a lot of art
created under the auspices of the Catholic church (Gregorian chants,
Hildegard von Bingen, Bach, Vivaldi, the many beautiful cathedrals of
Europe, etc.), and my family's not even Christian.  It's Jewish,
although I consider myself to be a Panthiest and a Pagan.  But, even
though my family is Jewish, we still went to Notre Dame when we were in
Paris.

On the other hand, knowing something about an artist's belief system does
help in the appreciation and understanding of her art.  So a discussion
of Kate's beliefs (as she's made them be known via her statements and
songs) is appropriate, not in order to convert all her fans to the same
beliefs, but in order to better understand her art.  It seems to me that
Kate has had some involvement with magic, the occult, or some sort of
esotericism/mysticism since the beginning (look at the words to "Them Heavy
People" or "Strange Phenomena" for example).  Now whether or not she is involved
with this on a more than merely literary/symbolic/metaphoric level, I
don't know.  (Just think how many artists throughout the centuries have
used Greek and Roman myths for inspiration w/o believing in Greek or
Roman religion.)  But knowing about the ideas that gave her inspiration,
whether spiritual or merely metaphorical, helps one to understand the music
more.

I used to be a Christian basher until about half a year ago when I
realized that I was denying Christians the very right that I was
expecting them to give me:  the right to believe in what I believe in
without expecting everyone else to agree with me.  Now I realize that my
criticisms should be directed towards institutions and acts that repress
others from excercizing this same right.  I even have respect for some
Christian teachings, especially "Love thy neighbor" and "Love thine
enemy."  Any belief that helps an individual to become nicer to others
and to make it through the day is a good belief for that particular
INDIVIDAL in my book.  Just don't expect me believe it too.

Please don't flame me on this--I'm trying to settle arguments, not start
them.

Renee