Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tarot (again...)

From: Marcel Rijs <100276.2176@compuserve.com>
Date: 09 Dec 94 15:47:22 EST
Subject: Re: Tarot (again...)
To: <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Hi,

Knowing nothing about Tarot at all, I am becoming increasingly
interested in the art as plans of a Kate Tarot deck are taking on
shape.

Then, out of the blue, <chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris
williams)> writes:

> I usually don't concern myself too much about how Kate would view
> our projects, but the Tarot cards are an especially bad idea.
> There are two possible ways Kate could view this. Either:
> Kate believes in Tarot: The idea of seeing a tarot deck featuring
> herself as all the cards. Oh, that would be nice. I presume this
> would include Death. Great, especially considering the number of
> close friends of her's who have died in recent years, and the
> trauma of the death of her mother.
> Kate does not believe in Tarot: I don't hold out much hope for
> this possibility (especially with the pernicious influence of
> "Lily" in her life) but if she does not, she would be deeply
> offended. Of course a real believer would be equally offended by
> an "ancient art" being perverted in this way. (Note to true
> believers of all stripes: This could launch a whole like of KT
> religious products, sure to offend those of all faiths. KT
> communion wafers. Knitted KT Love-Hounds yarmulkas.)

Not to forget, a KaTe Krucifix. However, I get the distinct feeling
you are telling the story of your own decision-making here. It is
clear you are a firm non-"believer", as the opposition against the
whole Tarot-project could be viewed more objectively than above. I
have read your posts for over a year now and it's clear your not
into the spiritual theme. That's fine, perfectly okay, but it makes
your comments a little too biased IMHO.
And where did you get the narrow-minded idea that Kate wants her
fans to do exactly what she wants them to do? In recent discussions
it has been made clear Kate doesn't care a "flying f-or crying out
loud" about her fans. She is following her muze.

> Sorry Karen, but it's hardly a fair comparison. The original
> tapes were produced by one person in one long night. The tapes
> were then duplicated by a group of people, a job that required
> altruism and dedication, but not artistic skill (not that the
> tapetree tapes exhibit that much skill.)

So basically you're saying here that projects involving artistic
skills are nicht erwunscht on gaffa/love-hounds?

[...]
> [The tapetree] happened in the background via e-mail. It would be
> nice if the tarot-people would show the same courtesy. Stev0's
> t-shirts are another good example of a sucessful project. A few
> posts to let people know the status of the project.

Ah, so that's your real problem. Well, here's an interesting angle:
the Tarot-project does indeed take up a little more bandwidth since
people on gaffa/love-hounds need to state their ideas, and be able
to discuss them publicly. I think that should be possible, since
the project is indeed a little more complicated. That should not
make it impossible to fulfill.

> Why don't those interested just get together via e-mail rather
> than cluttering up Love-Hounds with material that is of little
> interest to most, and deeply offensive to some of us.

"Deeply offensive" no less. Well, if you feel that way, let's get
"suspended-because-of-tarot-cards" in order ASAP.

<WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net> reacts:
> Manteau writes:
> > You people drive me nuts with bickerening!  Karen your so
> > stupid you think Chris is kidding.  I think he is now serious
> > because he is all times serious and thinks every Love Hounds
> > should do what he says.
>
> <argh> Look, Karen's post pissed me off, but I deleted it quick
> so I wouldn't be tempted to answer. I can't ignore this on
> though. Take your sarcasm and stick it in your AOL folder. Chris
> does *not* think "every Love Hound should do what he says" and I
> don't particularly like your portrayal of him in that way. Chris
> gave his *opinion* and presented it to the group.

Chris still has the problem of presenting his opinions as mere
"facts of life" and in the style of my elementary school teacher:
"Look, 1 plus 1 is 3 because I say so".

> He has a right to do that, you know. His opinion is as valid as
> anyone else's, and certainly as valid as the Tarot folks.
                     ^^^^^^^^^
The implications of this word in this sentence are deeply offensive
to me, and it's the bottom line when it comes to this subject. I am
not taking this personally as I'm not one of the Tarot "folks", but
it's another fine example of the mindboggling use of demeaning
language on this list at times.
I have said it before, and I will keep on repeating it as long as
necessary: a little more acceptance of each other as human
individuals on this list is much needed. And I won't draw any
further conclusions although I must admit it's tempting to write
on.

Disappointedly yours,

Marcel Rijs  *  "Conan the librarian"  *  Den Haag  *  The Netherlands
100276.2176@compuserve.com                                mfgr@sara.nl
"Well I know how cold it is in a world that's so unfair"- Happy Rhodes