Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

titles to cathy demos correspondence

From: endwar@phys.psu.edu (Andrew Russ)
Date: 7 Dec 1994 18:37:19 -0500
Subject: titles to cathy demos correspondence
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I matched up the titles of the Cathy demos as given in a broadcast
in Arizona several years ago, as posted earlier, with the original
titles listed in the Cathy demos lyrics file in The Garden.  I think
these titles are better than the ones generally given.  I should admit
that i based these on matching words in the titles to words in the
lyrics, but i think the matchup is pretty good; even "Dali" and "Stranded
at the Moonbase", which didn't match exactly, make a decent fit given the
words.  The broadcast titles for songs not released appear in square
brackets below.
	Of course, these may not be Kate's titles, either, or just working
titles.  Given Kate's aversion to this material, i doubt she would ever
clarify this issue for us.

First the songs that were released on albums:

The Kick Inside (Brother)     <--- note subtitle
Hammer Horror
Kashka from Baghdad
Oh, To Be In Love
Violin

then the others:

"Coming Up (Carmilla)"  [Surrender Into the Roses]

"Playing Canasta (in Cold Rooms)" [Rinfi the Gypsy]

"Snow (Hot in the Ice)"  [On Fire Inside a Snowball]

"Ferry Me Over"  [Dali]

"Lionhearts (On the Rocks)"   [Where are the Lionhearts]

"The Craft of Love [Life?]" [The Craft of Love]

"Queen Eddie (Gay Farewell)" [The Gay Farewell]

"In My Garden (Something Like a Song)" [Something Like a Song]

"Frightened Eyes"  [Frightened Eyes]

"Nevertheless (You'll Do)" [Nevertheless, You'll Do]

"Goodnight Baby (Who Is Sylvia?)"  [Come Closer To Me, Babe]

"So Soft (You're Soft)"  [So Soft]

"I Don't See Why I Shouldn't (Pick the Rare Flower)" [Rare Flower]

"Davy"  [While Davy Dozed]

"Disbelieving Angel" [Disbelieving Angel]

"Feeling Like a Waltz" [It Hurts Me]

"Keeping Me Waiting"  [Stranded at the Moonbase]

Besides the above, the following two songs sometimes are included:

"Organic Acid" -- this one was apparently not on the tape broadcast.
  It is also not on most collections of demos, and maybe not actually
  circulated the way the others were (which does leave us wondering
  what the history of this track was -- why it showed up one place and
  nowhere else).

"Scares Me Silly"  --  this one is a studio demo recorded separately
  along with a few tracks later released on album that are sometimes
  distributed with the piano demos.

andrew