Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

First Kate

From: Lisa Arzt <Lisa_Arzt@sonymusic.com>
Date: 6 Dec 94 18:51:43 EDT
Subject: First Kate
To: Love-Hounds <Love-Hounds@UUNET.UU.NET>

     My first Kate exposure, as it was for so many others, was Sat. Night
Live.  I never forgot the image of some "weird woman" who stood on top of a
piano wearing a trenchcoat and singing a song about "Rolling the Ball," though
amazingly I never knew who the performer had been.  Years went by and I always
retained that image and that one line of the song.
      In 1983 I got my first job in a record store. At that point all I
(thought I) knew about Kate was that she was supposed to be a witch (?!?) and
that she had a real "cult"  following. I actually thought she was a heavy metal
singer because this total metal-head who shopped in my store worshipped her.
It took a used copy of Never For Ever just happening to float into the store
and a co-worker who put it on for me to find out how WRONG I was! I was hooked
and started acquiring the back catalogue - -  imagine my surprise when I first
heard "Them Heavy People" and realized that this was that woman I'd seen on SNL
so many years before. I remember screaming "I've seen her! I saw this!!!"
Kate's been my life ever since.

In an unrelated note, thanks to whoever pointed us out to the Kate file on the
Sony Server. I'd checked it out immediately when we first went on line, but all
that was there was a bio. I would've continued to ignore it if not for
yesterday's post... has anyone else gone in to see those FABULOUS photos that
are in there? I've never seen them before, has anyone? What a great backdrop!

That's all for now,

Lisa Arzt