Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush Tarot Deck

From: pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: 30 Nov 1994 13:49:42 -0600
Subject: Re: Kate Bush Tarot Deck
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

The only problem I see with this idea is that
generally, tarot cards have pictures on them
with multiple levels of symbology.  There is
not usually a card that is as simple as a photo
of someone.  Photographic cards normally have
an elaborate setup being photographed.

Using your example, for example, of Kate in
ballerina outfit holding a globe as the fool (though
I'd argue that the world or something would maybe be more
appropriate) leaves out several traditional symbols
for the Fool card, including the little dog and the
cliff.  Those symbols are supposed to be important
at some level; you could omit them, but I doubt a
serious Tarot reader would want to use them unless you
were serious enough to be able to explain why you omitted
them.

It's a good idea, but it would be extremely difficult to
find even 22 images of Kate with the appropriate symbols for
the major arcana, much less worrying about the suit cards.
--
Pete Hartman		       Bradley University	pwh@bradley.bradley.edu
                        Hail Eris!  All Hail Discordia!