Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: VID'S

From: Anders Hultman <anders.hultman@unisource.se>
Date: 23 Nov 1994 14:55:49 GMT
Subject: Re: VID'S
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>         Just in case you didn't know, you can now get Kate's Hammersmith
> video from PMI on Video CD (also known as CD-I although strictly it isn't)
> which you may or may not know is world-wide compatible.

The Hammersmith concert is also released as a "double pack" CD+video.
The sound on the CD is better than on my bootleg of the same source.

> The quality of
> the encoding isn't supposed to be brilliant but is is OK and the sound is
> very good because it is Digital Stereo (as opposed to Hi-Fi Analogue stereo
> on modern Stereo Videos).

I suppose there have been many a flamewar on digital vs. analouge,
and this is off topic, but let me point out: digital can sound
brilliant, but does not always sound brilliant. Analouge can sound
dull but does not always sound dull. E.g. reel to reel tapers and
hifi VHS:s (analouge) sound better than DCC and Minidisc (digital).
If the "encoding isn't ... brilliant", then a hifi VHS *could* sound
better :-)