Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Fir Tree, Book of Dreams

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 1994 17:10:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The Fir Tree, Book of Dreams
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi OooohLaLune, glad to see you here, by the way.

That story is "The Fir Tree" by our old friend, Hans Christian Andersen,
also transcriber of "The Red Shoes" version which I typed out and posted
here last year.

I don't have a complete Wilde in the house, so I'm not sure whether or
not he has any Christmas stories.  But it is also possible that the Bush
family had a similar  tradition of reading stories aloud during the
holidays.  We already know that Kate loves one of Wilde's stories (See
the uncut Interview Of Infamy for the few moments when Kate brightens up
-- it is when she is discussing Wilde.)  Perhaps it was a Christmas eve
when she first discovered the master storyteller.  Of course, this is
pure uninformed speculation.

Info on Peter Reich's Book of Dreams, it was reissued a few years ago in
a paperback edition with the Cloudbusting photo on the cover.  The
publisher is Dutton and the ISBN: 0-525-48415-9.  I've seen it in both
new and used bookstores in the past year and it should be easy enough to
find or order.

I'm surprised the "X Files" crowd hasn't picked up on this one . . . a
large part of the book is Reich's childhood memories of fighting UFO's
with his father.  It is a strange and wonderful book, very intense, often
disturbing -- I don't like to think that in our own country someone would
be thrown in jail for doing something relatively harmless.

I also don't like the idea that my government supported by my money would
burn books and manuscripts on our behalf . . . something I personally
associate with Facism, dictatorship, religious mania, and other
perversions of human rights.
But they did, and
prevented
publication of
his work for
dozens of years
later.

It is an interesting book just for that aspect.  It is also fairly well
written.

Karen  kln@crl.com