Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

first hearing

From: DARLENE ANNE DANDY <dd94br@badger.ac.BrockU.CA>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 08:57:52 +0001 (EST)
Subject: first hearing
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

The first time I heard Kate Bush, I was in my uncle's basement room. He
was constantly playing records, and I constantly hung around, in a effort
to be educated in coolness. (Here was also where I heard Bauhaus, Roxy
Music, XTC, Split Enz, Blue Peter and the Cure for the first time).
Anyway, he put on the Dreaming, and then left the room to go do
something. I was left alone with nothing but the album cover and the
music to keep me company. I stared at the picture and listened to "The
Dreaming" and felt so alienated and isolated from anything familiar that
I actually turned the record off! I knew I was facing something that was
going to change my life, and I just wasn't ready for it. My uncle noticed
that there was no music when he came back, but didn't say anything. He
knew I'd be back. Well, I had no choice. There was nothing I could do to
get those sounds out of my head. They wouldn't leave me alone. The only
thing I could do "to ease my soul" was listen to everything I could from
her, all the time, I habit which I haven't lost to this day. And yes,
"The Dreaming" still affects me in the same way, but I just sit out of
reach of the stereo, and force myself to hear the unbearable messages.
dharlene