Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Fruitopia, for the record

From: IEDSRI@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 18:00:10 -0500
Subject: Fruitopia, for the record
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

 Chris Williams writes:

>Kate did the music for all those Fruitopia spots.
>The ad agency planned a series of kaleidescopic
>movements of fruit. They played around with
>different music, and some Kate (we don't know
>what songs they originally used) just fit.

This doesn't necessarily contradict the above, but IED
was recently told by someone at the company that actually
shot the spots (Fahrenheit Films, in NYC) that Kate was
their choice right from the beginning (before the ads
were even shot), and that they never considered asking
anyone else. (Of course, this would be the standard
ad-agency answer anyway, probably:  you don't want to
admit you settled for your second choice.)

>They contacted Kate, and she was interested.

IED was told that she was involved with the spots from
very early on. The only request they made was that there
be a broad range of musical styles, that no two should
sound alike.

>The agency paid for the production and Kate gets a
>royalty for the music.

IED has had no confirmation of this.  In fact,
it was this question which effectively ended
IED's interview with one Coke spokesperson.
Does Chris know for a fact that Kate's contract
entitles her to residuals, or whether she may have
settled for a flat fee?

>There are nine different ones,
>8 30-second ones for TV, and a longer one for theatrical >release.

No.  There are ten ads:  nine 30-second spots, and a tenth
which is in wide-screen and has a sixty-second version
of one of the other nine.

Still no word on whether new Kate Bush music is being
planned for the new ad campaign scheduled to begin at
the beginning of 1995.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)