Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: confessions

From: "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@SITGBSD1.TELECOM.com.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 94 15:21:00 EST
Subject: RE: confessions
To: "rec.music.gaffa" <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>
Encoding: 38 TEXT

Date: Saturday, 12 November 1994 4:07PM
Kathleen wrote:

]I might confess to being a newbie, but I am a newbie who loves female
]singers and is constantly on the lookout for new music.  If anyone would
]like to share some artist that they consider wonderful with me, I would
]greatly appreciate it.

Hmmm - how about The Divinyls (Oz band starring the remarkable voice of
Chrissie Amphlett), The Sundays, Concrete Blonde, Kate Ceberano (also
from Oz and the best female vocalist on the planet), Annie Lennox (with
The Tourists & early to mid-Eurythmics), Bjork (with Sugarcubes & solo),
The Cocteau Twins, Pat Benatar (live, or her swing album), Maddy Prior
(with Steeleye Span, and also late 60's-early 70's: Folk Songs of Old
 England Volumes I & II and Summer Solstice [Mooncrest label in the UK,
 Shanachie in the US], mid 70's: Silly Sisters [with June Tabor, also
 Shanachie], late 80's: No More to the Dance [as above], plus numerous
 other lead and backing vocals for various bands and artists), Enya,
Nina Hagen, Lene Lovich, Nenah Cherry, Maureen McElberon (don't ask me
where to find anything by her, as I've only heard her singing a voice-
over for the animated movie "The Tune"), Judie Tzuke (yes, I have her
first album and it's very nice), The Motels, The Pretenders, Dionne
Warwick (especially the Burt Bacharach songs and no I'm not kidding and
no I don't know how to spell his name), Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday,
Aretha Franklin, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa & Maria Callas (if you're into opera
and did I ever tell you I was one of the black priests in the IOC's Sydney
performance of Aida?), Julie Covington, Melanie Safka (I must be old if I
can remember her surname), Noosha Fox (who?), Salt'n'Pepa, Johnny Panic
and the Bible of Dreams (don't know the female lead vocalist), Sam Brown,
Sheila Chandra, Linda Ronstadt, and, and, and I really better get back to
work.

TSB, Adelaide Australia
'All the world is biscuit-shaped
 It's just for me to feed my face' - XTC