Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Re(2): TotPKT?

From: gtp10@bootes.cus.cam.ac.uk (Dr G.T. Parks)
Date: 14 Nov 1994 11:52:40 GMT
Subject: Re: Re(2): TotPKT?
To: rec-music-gaffa@marble.britain.eu.net
content-length: 905
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

evans@rd.bbc.co.uk (Richard Evans) writes:

> Adrian Neal (aneal@cix.compulink.co.uk) wrote:
>
> : I have always been under the impression that the acts for Top of the Pops
> : were decided according to the charts. The charts are aired tomorrow...
>
> Speaking as a viewer:
> TOTP does not decide on its acts simply according to the charts. Potential
> chart successes can be quite easy to spot and TOTP is not completely chart
> oriented anyway.

TOTP used to use the charts as the only criterion for appearing. The policy
for selecting acts to appear has changed quite often over the years.

> Where did the 16 years come from ? She's made an appearance since WH.

Could it be her first *live* *vocal* on TOTP for 16 years? She did WH live,
and I know artists are now required to do vocals live on TOTP. All her other
live TOTP appearances which I can remember were lip synch performances.

Geoff Parks