Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Questions

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 94 11:04 CDT
Subject: Re: Questions
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net

Chris here,

IED replies to my post:
> > The basic idea was to make one in the 9660 format,
> > so that it would be compatible with DOS, Windows, Mac,
> > Amiga, Unix and NeXT. We would have to find viewers for
> > all these in order to make the hypertext stuff work. One
> > idea: a WWW compatible system. Mosiac allows browsing
> > locally, and versions exist for all these formats. So,
> > produce the entire thing in HTML, include archives of
> > WWW browsers for each of the formats on the disk with
> > standard picture viewers and sound players. Hey, maybe
> > Coke would be interested in tossing a little funding our
> > way to include the Fruitopia ads!
>
>IED is new to and still largely ignorant of these
>technological issues, so has a foolish question.  Does the above information
>mean that Uli or Chris knows that the Whole Story CD-ROM contains more than
>just transfers of the majority of Kate Bush's official videos into the
>digital domain ?  IED was under the impression that this CD-ROM was really
>more of a video compilation in CD-ROM form than a full-fledged CD-ROM.

   Sorry. I guess I didn't make myself clear. The Kate CD-ROM project I
was talking about was the much-discussed Love-Hounds CD-ROM containing
the complete archives of rec.music.gaffa and all the stuff in the kb
directory on uunet.uu.net.

>By the way, IED naturally assumes that Chris and Uli are merely suggesting
>the use of Mosaic as an access medium for hypertext content (if there is any)
>on the CD-ROM, and not proposing to upload the official videos contained on
>the CD-ROM so that they might be accessed by WWW users.  Is
>this correct?  Since the latter would not differ in any but a technological
>way from poor Marcel Rijs's proposal that a dub of TCTCTL might be included
>in a hypothetical L-Hs Coll. Vol. 2, IED is confident that only the former
>was suggested.

   Richard Caley has produced a hypertext version of Ron Hill's
Cloudbusting project. The proposed CD would include a hypertext linked
version of Cloudbusting, the Garden and the lyrics from ftp.uwp.edu.

   Yes. No suggestion was made to include complete videos. At most, we
would include single frames from a wide variety of videos to make video
identification easier. Sort of a spotter's guide to all the different
versions of _Wuthering Heights_ and the various Italian performances of
_The Dreaming_.

   Let me again state that I was not flaming Marcel. I was trying to
stamp out a poor idea before it spread.

>Finally, since no-one else has seen fit to say it, IED is compelled to
>observe that, Chris's dudgeon notwithstanding, the fine gradations of ethical
>code put forth here the other day by its Master Editor to justify the
>Love-Hounds Collection's many copyright infringements and, by comparison, to
>condemn Marcel's mere words, failed to convince this skeptic.  IED greatly
>appreciates the many fine contributions which Marcel has made to Love-Hounds
>to date, and sincerely hopes he will not be bowed by the heat his recent
>ideas about the Collection have engendered.

   The Collection is a service to Love-Hounds and Kate fans in general,
providing better quality versions of things that are already out there.
These shows are not currently available for purchase, and Kate's fans
deserve to see the many wonderful things on them.

   Copying TLTC&TC would do a *great* disservice to Kate.

   I would hope that IED sees the very clear moral choice here:
something that violates copyright in a basically harmless way (not
depriving anyone of profits because they are not attempting to market
these shows) and violating Kate's right to market her own creation
and directly depriving her of profits.

   Perhaps I do look like a hypocrate, but the measure I use is one of
actual harm, rather than theoretical harm. It offers me no legal
protection, but it provides a reasonable guide through some very
murky waters.

   I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Marcel for his many
valuable contributions to love-hounds. I believe his suggestion
was a momentary lapse.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)