Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ridiculousness

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 94 22:03 CDT
Subject: Re: Ridiculousness
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>> Sorry, but no fucking way am I going to distribute _The Line, The
>> Cross and The Curve_. The fact that it was broadcast on Swedish
>> TV does, *IN NO WAY* get around the fact that it is currently
>> available for sale in most Kate-speaking parts of the world and
>> available via mail in the other parts.
>>
>> This is *Kate's* film, made with her own money. We have a dubbed
>[ A couple of screenfulls deleted]
>
>I'm sorry my one innocent remark, inspired by possible other
>people's opinions led you to have to vent so much frustration at
>once. This response was slightly informative, but highly
>unnecessary. I don't wish to be screamed at like I'm some god damn
>fucking criminal breaking every possible law of copyrights in
>public. P*** off and leave me alone in future. _God_! >:-(

   I'd not seen anyone else suggesting including _The Line, The Cross
& The Curve_, so if it was someone else's dumb idea, forgive me for
jumping on your case. But I felt I had to be pretty forceful to kill
this in the bud. Copying TLTCTC would be the one sure way to get Kate
really pissed off at us. It would be *directly* ripping her off and
would serve no promotional purpose at all.

   Even if it was your original idea, let me apologise for jumping on
you, and simply suggest that I wish you'd considered a few things
before posting:

   * There are people reading this with a domain name of sonymusic.com.
     These people would be seriously remiss if they didn't relate
     a plan to bootleg currently available commercial product on a
     worldwide basis to the interested parties at Sony.

   * As the editor and originating point of the previous and future
     video collections, I'd be the obvious person to send threatening
     legal letters to. I don't want any of these. So I have to cover
     my own ass, which is a bit more exposed than yours. I still
     feel that "no fucking way" accuratly summed up my feelings.
     A "cease and desist" order would tend to put a damper on the
     possibility of future tape trees.

   * Please consider suggestions in the larger context of posting
     a message to thousands of other other people. I understand
     that the suggestion was made innocently, but please, we are
     very exposed here, doing things that are fairly gray.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)

  P.S. Greg Primm, sorry. I enjoy a good flame war as much, or more than
anyone else on gaffa. But this is hardly material for a good flame war.
That would require to completely opposed parties with positions that
cannot be resolved. I simply stated that I would not have any part in
adding TLTC&TC to any tape tree that I would edit. Someone else is
welcome to produce an alternative tapetree and let the shitstorm
rain down upon their own head. I rightly objected to a suggestion that
*I* do a particular thing.  This is my right.