Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Just a weak moment...don't mind me

From: larry@hal.com (Larry Hernandez)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 18:14:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Just a weak moment...don't mind me
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi Everyone,

First, a real quick point: I finally saw the new Diet Coke logo design.
Wow, how interesting how close it is to the Kate symbol!

Connie_Lofton@sonymusic.com made such good sense when she wrote:

* I feel a little silly sharing this, but I was sitting in my office just now
* listening to TRS and "Moments of Pleasure" started playing.  I decided to stop
* what I was doing and really listen to the song--
[...]
Wow, what a concept.  Wouldn't it be nice if everyone did that before they
posted anything at all resembling dislike for such awesome sentiments...

* All I can say is--well, I don't know that any adjectives I can come up with
* would do it justice.
How about "a work of pure genius?" :)

* And having read on r.m.g. about the people and events
* that inspired the song--I'm quite shaken and I feel like I've just read
* someone's diary.  I am actually having a little bit of a physical reaction
[...]
Now THAT is a beauty of r.m.g: once you really understand more about Kate's
inspirations for writing, you can *completely* "feel" Kate's power.

* I feel grateful when I come to a song I've heard a lot with a sudden
* new intensity, but I must say that this has got me a little worried.
I makes me think of how wonderful and important our short lives are, and how
we must pass on such appreciation to those we love (to those who will survive :).
It's not your typical "I hurt, so I hate you and everyone like you, boo
hoo hoo woe is me" type of crap that some people find so fascinating and have
made so popular these days...

* It reminds me not a small amount of how Paul McCartney's song "Here Today" (his
* song for/about John Lennon) affected me for a good year after the "Tug Of War"
* album came out.  It still gets to me sometimes; over ten years later.
That is the wonderful power of poetry and music. When an artist can engender such
a reaction, he/she has succeeded in getting across exactly what they wanted to.
Kate does this more often for me than any other artist I can think of.

* How wonderful that Kate is willing to share this beautiful, incredibly personal
* and moving song with us.  I feel most fortunate, really.
Can you imagine my joy when I bought the 12" and found that it had the most
beautiful picture of Kate as a fold-out poster sleeve, including the lyrics to
the song?  I framed it under glass shortly after I bought the 12", and that
picture now adorns the entrance to my office. People ask about it almost daily.

* Sorry for the interruption; just my $.02 for today.  Thanks for reading.
Thank you, Connie, for the opportunity to agree wholeheartedly with your very
important points. It makes up for how badly I've felt after the recent spate
of people posing as "Kate fans" who in the same post proceed to show that they
couldn't be farther from it. One example coming to mind is the recent post from
"?" (Valerie) about _TLTCTC_... She tears apart *every effort* that Kate has
made for this, her real *debut* film, and then says that she'll still buy
the videotape when it comes out because she's a "fan." I tend to think
that if Kate knew about people like you, it wouldn't pain her at all not to
have your business.  BTW, this "flame" is mild compared to how I really felt
after reading that post, and the wildfire I was one keystroke away from sending
in response. I'm glad I held back, because I was *really* mad then...

Oh, and "Love and Anger" is my favorite Kate video.  So there...  Larry

Larry J. Hernandez               "these moments given,
HaL Computer Systems               are a gift from time."
larry@hal.com                           - KT