Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moments of...?pleasure?

From: Danielle Fodor <dcfodor@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 14:28:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Moments of...?pleasure?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

On Sat, 15 Oct 1994, G. Timothy Walton wrote:

> In a previous article, a94mikja@ida.his.se (Mikael Jakonen) says:
>
> >I seem to be one of very few who agree with you. While MoP is very well
> >made, I think its too much sentimental crap. Top of the City isn't one
> >of my favourites either. WSILY on the other hand is good, and so is
> >Constellation of the heart, and Big Stripey Lie too...
>
>   Have to disagree with you.  The Red Shoes, when it came out, helped me a
> lot when I was feeling very down (even for me).  Top of the City and MoP
> are easily the two songs that helped me most.

	I agree completely.  Top of the City was the first song on the
album to really make me bawl.  It had me crying and shaking and
completely a wreck for a number of weeks...and although Moments of
pleasure has never made me completely break down, it does make me feel a
little bit weak.
	It seems to me like a lot of people are still looking for faults
in the Red Shoes--I admit, when it first came out, it was hard for me to
relate to in it's entirety.  But, in that way, it's like all Kate
albums...they seem to be easily dismissed, and then to come and jump you
from behind when you most need them.
	I'd also like to defend You're the ONly One, which seems to get
some terrible things said about it from time to time.  It sounds very
commercial and expresses very basic sentiments, which can be offputting
at times, but the emotions sung about in the song are so obviously and
genuinely felt i cannot help but be moved by it.

kate always,

danielle