Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moments of...?pleasure?

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tree of Schnopia)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 94 03:25:48 GMT
Subject: Re: Moments of...?pleasure?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

In <9410111839.AA28094@mhost.ida.his.se> a94mikja@ida.his.se (Mikael Jakonen) writes:

>I seem to be one of very few who agree with you. While MoP is very well
>made, I think its too much sentimental crap. Top of the City isn't one
>of my favourites either. WSILY on the other hand is good, and so is
>Constellation of the heart, and Big Stripey Lie too...

Seems to be a matter of taste, actually.  For example, I think CotH suffers
from acute metaphoritis (high comparison -- low content), klutzy conception
and melody, and overdisco.  The only things that save the song for me are
the repetition of the title parts and the great call-and-response section,
which is just brilliant.  MoP, on the other hand, strikes me as deftly
handled sentiment, and the only problem with the song is that it can sound
slightly repetitious at times.

TotC, though, is definitely low on my list.  And BSL is pretty high.  So I
guess it's another of those wonderful things that make us human.

Drewcifer

--
Andrew D. Simchik, as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu, simchik@cs.rochester.edu
KAY: "What do you think of essentialism, Drew?"  ||  "words weren't made