Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Diary of a wannabe Kate fan

From: totoro@charm.net (Milky Way)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 04:22:39 -0500
Subject: Re: Diary of a wannabe Kate fan
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Ray wrote and Chris answered:

>>1. WUTHERING HEIGHTS.  Seen it before, a long, long time ago when
>>the single was released.  I'd completely forgotten the cartwheels
>>and the multiple image video trails; wow!  Was this a video ahead of
>>its time or what?
>
>    Glad to see that someone else recognises that _Wuthering Heights_
>was ahead of it's time. One really has to remember what the other videos
>of that time were like.

The director was a guy named Keef, who did most of the early videos and
also directed the filming of Hammersmith. You can see his signature style,
multiple images, fading trails, lots of highlight from behind on artist's
hair... in a lot of Blondie's old videos too! Didn't Debbie Harry once say
that she thought she could whip Kate's butt in a wrestling match?

>>2. CLOUDBUSTING.  Never heard the song or seen the video before.
>>Hmm.. interesting.. Kate appearing as a tom boy.

Did she have to grease down her hair and somehow stuff it all under the
cute short wig? Kate is really really good in this video, probably her best
non-dance non-singing performance IMHO.  Too bad Kiefer's dad had to ruin
it by over-acting (his only characterization seems to be beating the air
with his fist, and he's usually such a great actor! Pity...) If Kate has
ever made a mistake, it would be casting Sutherlalnd in a non-speaking role
and Lindsay Kemp in a speaking one.

>>3. THE MAN WITH THE CHILD IN HIS EYES.
>>The focus is so soft it gives a really dreamy quality to the video.

I always wished that there was some way you could remove all the annoying
Kate-obscuring diffusion on this video.  Then just about a month ago I saw
her Saturday Night Live performance and I was FLOORED.  Possibly one of her
best live performances.
How does that Paul Schaffer(sp?) guy manage to keep his eyes on the piano
keyboard?
I guess he knew that if he looked up he'd forget to play...

>>15. LOVE & ANGER.  Try as I might, I couldn't sit still to this.
>>The sheer energy behind the song is amply represented in the
>>accompanying video.
>
>    We have a theory about this video. If anyone is interested,
>write and ask.

Yes! Send me the theory!  What's interesting to me is that out of all
Kate's videos, this one shares the most visual elements with /+)      The
ballet dancers, glitter, Kate running through the dark...(was Lindsay Kemp
made up to look like Dave Gilmour?)

HIRO

               If music be the food of love, eat the music.
               Hiro & Lesley Amano
               totoro@charm.net

/+)