Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Akiko Yano

From: totoro@charm.net (Milky Way)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 19:54:06 -0500
Subject: Akiko Yano
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

We received an inquiry from a fellow Gaffan about our list, and we are
posting part of our reply in case it is of interest to others.

An inquiring Gaffan wrote:

> Akiko Yano, I've only seen the one CD (Love Life) in the States; do you know
> her other releases (hopefully with the company and record number info so I can
> order)? I love her voice and her lyrics are wonderful (I would like to get
>them
> in the original). Also, Naijma, I have 3 of her CDs, but the last one is 3
>years
> old. Is she still active?
> Tell me more about  Lisa Ono; the combination sounds interesting....

"Akko" has two U.S. releases, both of which are compilations of songs from
her Japanese albums. "Love Life" is the second of these. The first, and
IMHO superior compilation was released by the same label, Elektra Nonsuch,
in 1990. The title is "Akiko Yano" and the Warner Communications catalog
number is 9 79205-2. The compilation was produced by John Zorn and Robert
Hurwitz. One of my favorite songs on this CD is "David" which is a song
from her 1986 album "Touge no waga ie (Our House at the Peak or Our House
at the Pass)" released by the MIDI, Inc. label, #35MD-1011. It's the best
song about friendship that I've ever come across, and describes her warm
feelings for someone named David. In the early 1980's her hubby Ryuichi
Sakamoto was buddy buddy with David Sylvian, releasing several
collaborations, and I'm sure Sylvian spent a lot of time hanging out with
his Japanese pals.

Akko has lots and lots of records in Japan, and I only have 5 of
them...Maybe a Gaffan in Japan can get us a full discography.

You've got one more Najma than we do...Maybe the esteemed Vickie can tell
us what this artist is up to. I know that Najma has a lot of fans in
Japan...

Lisa Ono is interesting sho'nuff, but not a combination of any sort.
Earlier this century, there were a lot of Japanese farmers who emigrated to
Brazil. There is a big and vibrant Brazilian Japanese population down
there, and someone of Lisa's generation might only speak Portugese and
English. Her music is pure Brazilian Bossanova and her voice sounds husky
and sexy and much fuller than Astrud Gilberto's or Sade's . The only album
of hers I've seen in the U.S. is "menina" which was released in 1991 by BMG
Victor, Inc of New York,  RCA catalog number 3200-2-RL.

               If music be the food of love, eat the music.
               Hiro & Lesley Amano
               totoro@charm.net

/+)