Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Warm room & Lionheart

From: Marcel Rijs <100276.2176@compuserve.com>
Date: 05 Oct 94 16:43:06 EDT
Subject: Warm room & Lionheart
To: <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Hi,

<R.EISERMANN@link-m.muc.de> writes:

> I don't understand why so much people do not like *Violin*,
> or *The Warm Room*
> Violin is quite interesting, because it's the only punk-
> influenced song KT ever did.

Ah! Maybe that's why... :-)

> TWR ist a nice song either,
> describing a experience many of us had.
> "Is it love or is it just lust?"

I think "In the warm room" is one of the most sensual songs Kate
ever recorded. You may cringe at lines like "her thighs as soft as
marshmellows" but the way she descibes the situation is so
picturesque, it was an important part of my puberty... :-)
It's up there, with Feel it (another "sex R us" song) and mmm yes,
the Sensual world.

> What I dislike is Lionheart.
> This is childish patriotism,
> and I am, typical for many young germans, allergic against
> patriotism.

I think Kate brings in beautiful imagery of England-the-country-
and-its-culture in this song and she sings it very beautifully.
It's one of the rare songs Kate ever recorded with a sense of
spontaneity. She distanced herself from the song later, which is a
darn shame. I despize patriotism myself but there's nothing wrong
with being proud of your country... certainly when that country is
England... as long as you don't go overboard... :-) She didn't sing
about a miserable little fellow with a moustache did she? :-)

Marcel F G Rijs  /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\  "Conan the librarian"
                 | mfgr@sara.nl |
    Den Haag     \______________/       Netherlands