Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: kate rate

From: dominirn@ucunix.san.uc.EDU (R. Dominick)
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 1994 16:20:58 -0400
Subject: Re: kate rate
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Lizanne Minerva (lminerva@freenet.scri.fsu.edu) wrote:
: We have until November to send these in, right?

I hope. :) And I may as well try this...

Please note that I don't own and have never heard Lionheart. Oh, well.

1. The Dreaming. Not the first Kate I ever bought, and not immediately
my favorite -- but, in some way that it's hard to explain, it's
exactly what I like about Kate. (But, I found, it's NOT a good album
to play for someome who has never heard any Kate and wants to know
what she's all about... next time that happens, it's TSW for *sure*.)

(No flames on that last comment; TSW remains the "most accessible" of
Kate's albums, IMO, and has quite a few of my favorites.)

2. Never For Ever. Constantly swaps with TD for my favourite. I often
dig out the CD and just play from "The Infant Kiss" onwards; my last
answering machine merely played "Night Scented Stock" and then beeped.
(After numerous requests for something more recognizable as an
answering machine, I changed it to the message from Laurie Andersons'
_O, Superman_.)

3. Tie: The Sensual World/The Red Shoes. Several things about TRS mar
the album for me, especially that terribly Christian song near the end
of the disc that I cannot remember the name of because I skip it when
humanly possible. _Moments of Pleasure_ is sublime. _Never Be Mine_ is
one of my favourite songs, period. I've also always liked _Deeper
Understanding_ (and I know I'm in a minority here) because I, too,
have always been addicted to my modem.

I'd still like to know what the TSW track would've been like with the
James Joyce passages instead.

Oh, and then there's _Rocket's Tail_.  *swoon*

4. Tie: Hounds of Love/The Kick Inside. I just don't play these as
much as the others, nor as much as I should. I don't know why, except,
possibly, because I only own them on cassette and the cassettes are in
the other room while the CDs are right by the stereo. Definitely some
good things, here, though... _Wuthering Heights_!

And I'm not even going to *try* to rate singles. :)

--r.
--
'cause secretly i'm timid                      dominirn@ucunix.san.uc.edu