Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KateRate-REALLYlatedate

From: Mary Helen Sowell <mhs3c@darwin.clas.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 22:29:18 GMT
Subject: KateRate-REALLYlatedate
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@murdoch.acc.virginia.edu

Oh, where to start?  I still really get freaked out that Kate's
music exists.  Well, mine vary according to mood as well, but
here goes:

ALBUMS
1.The Hounds of Love: Every song is a winner.  Beautiful
lyrics, melodies, usage of innovative instruments and really
incredible rhythms.

2. The Dreaming:  Wonderful effects on this one (as if there
weren't on all the albums :)) Her imagination is breath-taking
and is reflected in both song concepts and creative sounds.

3. A TIE: Lionheart and Never For Ever I really like the early
experimentations of Lionheart, although a couple of songs are
bad, I think it is given a bad rap too often.  It has some of
the nicest imagery of any of her lyrics.  NFE is great as it
marks the beginning of my fave Kate phase.  Delius is one of
the most etheral songs I ever heard (Delius had a summer home
in my hometown, btw, which I found out after the song.:) )

4. The Kick Inside: Kathy enters the music world in grand,
eccentric style.

5. The Sensual World: Many great songs on here (TWW, TSW, RT,
L&A ) but some (Between a Man and A Woman, Walk Straight Down
the Middle) seem to act as fillers in an otherwise thouroughly
enjoyable album.

6. The Red Shoes: I like this album okay.  It has some nice
songs MoP, Lily, TRS, but overall the rhythms seem carbon-copy and
years of smoking seem to be affecting Kate's voice.  The lyrics
are less interesting than before (but that ETM has great ones).
However, I must stress that this is a good album in comparison
with music in general. It's just the worst of Kate's works,
IMHO.

Fave Songs:
I like far to many to rate them, as it really depends on my
mood.  It would be easier to name the few I don't like, but I
wouldn't want to do that.  :)

Mary-Helen the always loyal Katefan and current shirtster who
still hasn't done that paper due last monday.

"I've never been so happy to be alive.."  KTB "Pull Out The Pin"