Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: violin ?

From: allen_watson@quickmail.apple.com (Allen Watson III)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 16:20:14 GMT
Subject: Re: violin ?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@gallant.apple.com

In article <5XltQIG2QdB@link-m54.link-m.muc.de>, R.EISERMANN@link-m.muc.de
wrote:

>   Violin is quite interesting, because it's the only punk-
>   influenced song KT ever did.
>    Listen to the breaks! Listen to her voice!
>    Ok, it is not a cult song, it is just a song.
>    But not a worse song compared to others!

Hi Ralph,
I'm an old American, but I too like "Violin."  I don't know about its punk
influence, but if you like the album cut, take a listen to the Hammersmith
version (on the video or on the bootleg albums).  At the very end, Kate
sings the word "violin" three times with the same notes except the ones on
the "oh".  The notes on "oh" make a progression, increasing the tension by
using the leading tone.  Great stuff!

> What I dislike is Lionheart.
> This is childish patriotism,
> and I am, typical for many young germans,
> allergic against patriotism.

"Lionheart" isn't just patriotism, it has a lot of tradition and legend in
it, which I like.  For example, the legend is that if the ravens ever leave
the Tower of London, the tower will fall.  I think the song is about young
people who are discovering love and patriotism and legends and getting
their emotions all tangled together.  I am no longer young, but I remember
it well...

Keep weird,
- Allen
|   "Get the bow going,       |