Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Top 5 B-sides (and then some)

From: Gleea@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 94 11:08:32 EDT
Subject: Re: Top 5 B-sides (and then some)
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: "Gleea" <Gleea@aol.com>

Karen wrote:

>I have to say that my favorite album varies with the seasons and the
>phases of the moon.  Although The Ninth Wave is probably my solid
>favorite alltime KaTe KomposiTion.

I tend agree.  However, for the purposes of this discussion..

1. Ninth Wave/Hounds of Love
   Without reservations.

2. The Red Shoes
      I don't remember if anyone else has rated this album so high, and as a
whole it is lacking in certain areas.  I tend to stop listening after "The
Constellation of the Heart."  Still, the songs that make it for me are pretty
spectacular.

3. The Kick Inside
      This was the album that turned me into a Kate fan.  Although it came
out when I was about 7 or 8, I discovered it when I was about 18, right
around the age Kate was when she made it, and I bonded with her music
somehow.  (In fact, I used to somewhat dislike Kate until I suddently this
album spoke to me.)

4.  The Dreaming/Never For Ever (tie)

I can't really bring myself to rate either of these lower or higher.  They
are both exceptional works.

5.  Sensual World/Lionheart

Again, these are really wonderful albums.  But if I have to rate them in
terms of what I feel are Kate's most outstanding accomplishments, these two
wind up here.  Plus, The Sensual World came out when I was in a sort of nasty
spot in my life, so there are some unpleasant memories that go along with it.

I can't really divide individual songs. I tried to create an un-numbered
list, but quickly realized I would want to list most of her songs.... I will
say that

The Jig of Life
The Red Shoes
The Song of Solomon