Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Creepy!

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 12:25:57 GMT
Subject: Re: Creepy!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: UseNet News Admin <cnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk>

In article <Pine.3.87.9409141228.A24903-0100000@crl3.crl.com>, "Karen
L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com> writes:

> That whole business about the guy stalking Sarah McLaughlin is too too
> creeepy.  Brrrr!  Did anyone catch the article about Kate earlier on in
> the Red Shoes release that talked about the weird mail that is sent to
> the old apartment she lived in?
>
> Apparently the woman who lives there is named "Cathy" and people send
> mail to Cathy at that address.  She opens them to find their from a
> variety of weirdos, including someone who claims that Catherine Earnshaw
> (the fictional character) is a living person and he can produce her if
> Kate is interested.
>
> Weird.  As I remember that gave me the creeps, too.  Does anyone remember
> what article that was?

It was this one:

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Kate article in Time Out
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

There is an article about Kate in Time Out No. 1212 Nov 10-17.
[...]
Neil

DAFT AS A BUSH

        Nick Coleman

Kate Bush - what's she like, eh, with her wailing voice, whimsical words and
penchant for throwing wild Terpsichorean shapes? Suitably intrigued by her
new album and accompanying, film, Nick Coleman tries to suss out the bird in
the Bush.

I have a friend who lives in the house Kate Bush grew up in. It's an old
and creaky Victorian house and my friend inhabits the attic, which was
converted into a flat some time in the '80s when the house was sold. My
friend's name is Catherine and she gets loads of post.

[...]

My friend Catherine has never opened any post addressed to Kate Bush.
There was, however, a letter that came addressed merely to 'Catherine '.
So Catherine opened it. Inside was a lot of stream-of-consciousness stuff
about dreams, and about how the writer was watching Catherine. So
Catherine snorted, noted the postmark and forgot about it. Then another
letter arrived, identically addressed, from the same postal region; then
another, and another, each of them increasingly weird and disturbing.
Sometimes three would arrive in a day. And it so happened that on the
day that Catherine decided to go to the police, a letter arrived that
included a reference to Catherine's poetry and music, neither of which
are big with Catherine. Also, the letter included the appellation Kate.'

[...]

Other post addressed to Kate Bush arrived which went unopened. Then
one day a letter came for the attention of Catherine Earnshaw. This
being ambiguous, Catherine opened it just to make sure. Inside was a
note from a Harley Street doctor indicating that Catherine was fit as a
fiddle. This was good news. Unfortunately, Catherine had not been to
see a Harley Street doctor. She hastily sent the letter on to Bush's record
company, blushing at her daftness in not remembering immediately that
Catherine Earnshaw is the name of the storm-tossed tragic heroine of
'Wuthering Heights '.

I'm somewhat sceptical about Mr. Colemans tales since "the house Kate
Bush grew up in" wasn't "sold in the 80s" and I'd be surprised if the
Bushes rented out the attic....

--
Scott Telford, Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre,        <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK. (+44 31 650 5978)