Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate and Doctor Who

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 94 21:34 CDT
Subject: Re: Kate and Doctor Who
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net

>This is probably going to seem hilarious to you, but over on
>rec.arts.dr.who, there are a number of us who remember a rumour of
>several years ago, that Kate was secretly the author of a Doctor Who TV
>story called 'Kinda', under the psuedonym Christopher Bailey. Now, I'm
>sure that this isn't true, but it is a fun rumour. Any clues either way,
>and is it true that Kate is a Dr. Who fan?

   As a fairly big Doctor Who fan and a immense Kate fan, I've never
once heard or read Kate mention Doctor Who. She's never mentioned
watching the show, and for sure never mentioned writing for the show.
I'd imagine that early in her career, she might have been approached
to play a "Doctor Who Girl." But write? Um, no.

   I'll have to dig _Kinda_ out and watch it again. In all the times
Kate has mentioned watching TV, and how important television was to
her generation it's surprising how few specific shows she has mentioned.
I don't doubt that she watched the show, or at least her brothers did.
But it's real doubtful. Have you compared timelines? What date was that
show produced, and what was Kate doing at the time. I don't think that
she would have taken time out from, oh say, _The Dreaming_ to dash off
a Doctor Who script.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)