Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: USENET News System <news@jcu.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 1994 12:36:16 +1000
To: uunet!rec-music-gaffa

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: imla@manta.jcu.edu.au (Lynn Alford)
Subject: Glory of Gershwin
Sender: news@marlin.jcu.edu.au (USENET News System)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 94 02:36:06 GMT

The Glory of Gershwin is currently in the top 20 album list here in
Australia.  Kate sings a beautiful 'The Man I Love'.  Since I am fond of
GErshwin and of some of the artists on this album, I had to buy it.
There are a few tracks that I found disappointing; Robert Palmer's
version of 'I Got Rhythm' does not work for me, I have a version of
'Rhapsody in Blue' that I much prefer, I haven't managed to actually
listen to all of Courtney Pine's version of 'Summertime'.  I was surprised
that I enjoyed Meatloaf's 'Somebody Loves Me', but I have never listened
to Meatloaf much so it might be my fault for having such a preconceived
notion of what he would sound like. Most of the tracks are quite
enjoyable though.

Not only do I now own the album but I have a copy of Kate singing the
song on video.  It's done in black and white, and is simply showing Kate
singing with some of the members of the orchestra they had set up for
the album.  A lucky capture from the Australia show RAGE which plays a
variety of music videos Saturday and Sunday mornings from 1 to 8 am.

For those who might be interested, a list of tracks from the album.
Press n now if either a) you know them or b) you don't care.

Peter Gabriel 		Summertime
Chris de Burgh 	 	Do what you do
Sting 			Nice work if you can get it
Lisa Stansfield 	They can't take that away from me
Elton John		Someone to watch over me
			Love is here to stay
Carly Simon		I've got a crush on you
Elvis Costello		But not for me
Cher			It ain't necessarily so
Kate Bush		The man I love
Jon Bon Jovi		How long has this been going on
Oleta Adams		Embraceable you
Willard White		Bidin' my time
Sinead O'Connor		My man's gone now
Robert Palmer 		I got rhythm
Meatloaf		Somebody loves me
Issy Van Randwyk	I'll build a stairway to paradise
Courtney Pine 		Summertime
Larry Adler and George Martin  Rhapsody in Blue

Lynn
--
lynn.alford@jcu.edu.au       | Wedding Dress?  Mother, stop.  You're
lalford@nyx.cs.du.edu        | telling me you're not going to be naked