Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Stalking, Weird Letters

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 10:00:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Stalking, Weird Letters
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Here's that synchronicity thing again.  We've been talking here about
stalkers and letters from weirdos and today I've run across two articles
on the subject . . . one is in the New York Times regarding a teacher who
has been pursued and threatened via e-mail by some guy she met once at a
party for singles or something.

The second one is a little less disconcerting.  The Technology Review, a
magazine of tech from MIT has a hilarious article on p. 72 of their
October issue.  Technology Review is bombarded with mail from people who
are building spaceships in their back yard so they can "return to their
true home - Saturn", folks who share their "personal memories of King
Arthur", and the mysterious Mr. O. who managed to devise a machine from a
wire coil, a thumbtack and a nonfilter cigarette that "blocks out
malicious telepathy."

Tech Review consulted a psychologist to find out why they get so much
nutty mail.  He said "Such people develop their own cosmology that
includes elements of whatever they hear about or know about.  The ones
who write to the Rolling Stone (magazine) have delusions about rock stars."

He also discusses a seizure disorder known as hypergraphia, though I
doubt it could be common enough to account for the number of weird
correspondence generated each year.

Karen  kln@crl.com