Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Knights Templar (KT) reference in Kate Bush FAQ

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 94 15:02:53 EDT
Subject: Re: Knights Templar (KT) reference in Kate Bush FAQ
To: Gord Locke <glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Cc: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

> WretchAwry (better known as Vickie) writes:
>
> >Gord writes:
> >
> >> 	Disclaimer: the above may be partially or totally a product of
> >> False Memory Syndrome.
> >
> >Ugh!! I never thought I'd see that slimy group's name pop up in gaffa.
> >How depressing.
>
> 	"Group"?  Do you mean a musical group, or is it the name of some
> lobby group to do with false recollections of abuse or something?  Didn't
> mean to depress you . . . .

Actually, yes, there is an "organization" (term used loosly) who call
themselves the False Memory Syndrome, and they make me sick.  They
say they are dedicated to protecting the rights of accused sex
offenders, especially those accused of child sexual abuse, and
especially those who are accused years after the fact.  They claim
that unethical therapists are responsible for the so-called "sex
abuse mania sweeping America" and, like the Scientology war against
Prozac, they've begun a war against therapists.

I would not claim that there are no such things as false memories, or
unethical therapists, and that a group to speak up for the rights of
accused sexual abusers is a bad thing, but the FMS is *not* that
group.  They discredit themselves by claiming that all (or, when they're
backed up to a wall, most) child sexual abuse is fiction, and that
repressed memories don't exist.  As far as I'm concerned, the FMS
provides a nice, cozy cover for child sex offenders to make themselves
look "legtimate" and obscure the real facts of the horror of child
sexual abuse, and how common it is and always has been.  That's *MY*
opinion.

I'm sure to draw flames, but I won't engage in a flame war in gaffa
about this because it's not the place.  I know what I'm talking about
though, and I urge anyone who reads an article about the FMS to not
believe everything they read.

Vickie