Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

New Gabriel Live CDs: No KT, BUT...

From: gregp@adexpbbs.sccsi.com
Date: 14 Sep 1994 14:07:49 GMT
Subject: New Gabriel Live CDs: No KT, BUT...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hey folks --

Just thought I'd post about spectacular new Peter Gabriel
Secret World Live 2CD set.  This set includes a live version
of Don't Give Up.  Alas, no Kate (from what I understand, she
only appeared on stage to sing with Peter once, on the So tour,
and it was only because she happened to be in the audience
that night...).  However, whereas on the So tour Peter sand Don't
Give Up solo (nice, but not great...), on the Secret World tour
he brought along first Sinead O'Connor (for the first leg of
the tour -- she left, and I've heard an assortment of rumors
regarding why, including lots of rather nasty stuff.  Anyone got
any info?), and then a more-or-less unknown named Paula Cole,
to handle additional vocals and such.

It is Ms. Cole that I'd like to talk about, here.  Cole's vocals
on Don't Give Up are, in a word, stunning.  Rather than imitate
Kate inimitable vocal from the original version of this song (a
chore that would have been doomed to certain failure), Cole takes
a different approach that is more suited to her deeper, throatier
voice.  Whereas Kate's vocal on this song was angelic, airy, and
simply stated, Cole's is somewhat more direct and fiery, with some
very powerful gospel-style phrasing.  Absolutely gorgeous.

Also of note (for the PG fans out there) are her backing vocals
on Come Talk to Me, Blood of Eden, Steam (very hot...), and
especially her work on In Your Eyes.  Her vocal on In Your Eyes
is essentially the substitue for Youssou N'Dour's trademark
Afro-scat style wailing.  Again, she doesn't try to mimic
N'Dour's style, but instead relies on the strengths of her
_own_ voice: long, strong, breathtakingly beautiful notes and
a remarkable range of both octaves and emotions.  Her first
passage in the 11:00 long In Your Eyes gave me chills unlike
anything I have felt since I first heard This Woman's Work so
many years ago -- .  Wonderful.

I have heard that Paula Cole has CD out on PG's Real World label.
Has anyone heard this CD, or does anyone have any info on Paula
Cole (where is she from, for instance?).  I'll be looking for
the CD this coming weekend -- I'll be sure to post and let you
know what I think.

-- Gregg!

=           Gabriel before me               +   In the circle of fire   =
+ Uriel on my left side + Michael to my right =       Gregg Primm       +
=           Raphael behind me               + gregp@adexpbbs.sccsi.com  =
My opinions.  Mine mine mine!  Not IBM's!  Mine!