Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

DarE Ied cOMIt a Sin of omiSIon: LeAviNg it open? or nAy?

From: IED0DXM@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 94 18:04:29 EDT
Subject: DarE Ied cOMIt a Sin of omiSIon: LeAviNg it open? or nAy?
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: "IED0DXM" <IED0DXM@aol.com>

IED is touched, really touched, by the outpouring
of philocanine support precipitated by Mr/Ms
Runagate's (an apt name, if ever there was one!)
uncouth remarks.  To all those who took it upon
themselves to defend his honor, IED conveys his
heartfelt thanks, and herewith repays you with
one of his most annoyingly fussy postings yet.
As for this runagate, well. . . shall we say
pistols at dawn?

The question was posed whether there will ever
be a second edition of The Garden.  Who can say?
It would entail much work, work which appeals to
IED but daunts his less dediKated flesh-and-blood
counterpart.  Let it be said that the projeKt
is still planned.

Regarding the Top of the Pops videos:  the following interesting testimony
provokes further speculation
and confusion:

 >I can say the following things about the recording
 > Chris now has with absolute certainty:
 >
 >1. Kate wasn't at Number 1.
 >2. Kate wasn't wearing red slacks.
 >
 >It may well be that Kate only appeared
 >*live* on TotP twice (as stated in
 >The Garden) despite being at Number 1
 >for 4 weeks because it was quite common
 >for them to *rebroadcast* performances
 >from previous  shows.
 >
 >-- Geoff Parks

Well, as we now have descriptions of at least four
distinct "TotP" performances of "Wuthering Heights",
we know that IED's earlier tally of only two is
incorrect.  This means either that one of the five "TotP" appearances that
IED has reason to think exist was
simply a rebroadcast of one of the earlier ones, or
that there were actually SIX appearances on "Top of
the Pops", in addition to screenings of the video!

IED notes that Peter FitzGerald-Morris's reports
do not explicitly discount the possibility that
there might have been more than one performance
by Kate of "WH" on "TotP" BEFORE the single had reached
No. 1 on the charts, but six does sound a little
excessive, doesn't it?  What is the source of Geoff's
certainty that the appearance he refers to above did
not correspond to a No. 1 week?

As IED now has it, the sequence of appearances may have gone
something like this:

WH1:  January/February (?), 1978
"Rockflix" video (UK)
           Original video for "Wuthering
           Heights", made by Rockflix,
           showing Kate in a red dress,
           performing outdoors; sometimes
           called the "moors" or "field" video.

WH2:  February ?, 1978
 "Scene '78" (West Germany)
          A lip-synch. ? of "Wuthering Heights".

WH3:  February ?, 1978
"Top Pop" (Netherlands)
          A lip-synch. ? of "Wuthering Heights".

WH4:  February 9, 1978
"Pop-Rock" WDR-TV (West Germany)
          From "Bio's Banhof"; features a
          live performance of"Wuthering Heights".

WH5:  February 16, 1978
"Top of the Pops" (UK, BBC1)
          The first "Top of the Pops" appearance.
          Black top, red slacks and black stilettos;
          a rerecorded lip-synch. ? (no. 1 of at least 5)
          "Wuthering Heights" (not yet at No. 1).

WH6:  March ?, 1978
"Magpie" (UK, Thames TV)
          A rerecorded and filmed version
          of "Wuthering Heights".

WH7:  March (?), 1978
"Keef" video for "Wuthering Heights" (UK)
           The official video, finished around this
           time (?), and aired on UK TV numerous
           times (?).

WH8:  March 9, 1978
"Top of the Pops" (UK, BBC1)
          A rerecorded lip-synch. ? (no. 2 of 5) of
          "Wuthering Heights":  a "white nightgown"
          version, of which an excerpt is later
          shown on "Ask Aspel".

WH9:  March 16, 1978
"Top of the Pops" (UK, BBC1)
          A rerecorded lip-synch. ? (no. 3 of 5) of
          "Wuthering Heights", probably the one w/Kate
          sitting at the piano: it's not the first, and Uli
          has said it seems "earlier" than WH10.

WH10:  March 23, 1978
"Top of the Pops" (UK, BBC1)
          A rerecorded (no. 4 of 5) version
          of "Wuthering Heights", probably the
         "long black dress version".

WH11:  March 30, 1978
"Top of the Pops" (UK, BBC1)
          A rerecorded lip-synch. ? (No. 5 of 5)
          of "Wuthering Heights".

WH12:  April ?, 1978
"Voor de Vuist Weg" (Netherlands)
          One Dutch viewer reports that
          "Wuthering Heights" was performed.

WH13:  May ?, 1978
"Kate Bush"  (Netherlands)
          A special film from De Eftelung theme
          park, including a performance of
          "Wuthering Heights".

WH14:  April 28 or May 8, 1979
"Kate Bush in Concert" (Germany)
          A Tour of Life documentary with
          live material from Hamburg 28 April
         1979 and Mannheim 8 May 1979,
         including footage of a performance of
          "Wuthering Heights".

WH 15: May 13, 1979
"Kate Bush Live at Hammersmith Odeon" (UK)
          The performance from which the
          film "Live at Hammersmith Odeon"
          was made, including footage of a
          performance of "Wuthering Heights".

In addition, a sixth Top of the Pops performance may
(if the recent report proves accurate) have been
aired, one which would have dated from before
the single reached No. 1, or in other words before
March 9, 1978.

Kate might have performed the song again on a
special Dutch edition of the series "Countdown";
and ditto the San Remo Music Festival.

All this would mean a possible total of eighteen
different performances of "Wuthering Heights"
exists, or existed at one time.

IED would appreciate any further help anyone
might be able to offer, as the subject, though
exceedingly dull to all but IED and his ilk, has
yet to be absolutely bled to death.

-- Andrew Marvick (IED)