Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Cheryl Wheeler with Kate Jacobs in Central Jersey

From: Jim Mueller <jim@pharmacop.com>
Date: 7 Sep 1994 21:22:27 GMT
Subject: Cheryl Wheeler with Kate Jacobs in Central Jersey
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.folk, rec.music.gaffa, nj.events, nj.general, phl.music, alt.music.misc

             Cheryl  Wheeler
          with special guest
               Kate Jacobs

On Saturday, September 17, Outta' Sights & Sounds will present an evening
with two of the finest storytellers of modern Folk Music - Cheryl Wheeler
and Kate Jacobs.

Not all great songwriters are great vocalists, but in Cheryl Wheeler you
will find a stunning example of each. Cheryl's music is a provocative
blend of folk and country styles with the occasional splash of
contemporary rock. An incredible lyricist, her brilliantly human music
can be haunting, whimsical or plunge you into black comedy. It deals with
the details of everyday life, urging you to think as much as to feel. She
has a subtle wit, a silky voice, and something significant to say. Her
songs have been hits for Dan Seals, Suzy Boggus, Maura O'Connell and
Linda Thompson. Her newest cd, Driving Home, features her friends Patty
Larkin, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Alison Krauss

To understand her reputation as "Will Rogers with a guitar," you have to
see Cheryl live. As those who have seen her performing with John Gorka,
Patty Larkin and Cliff Eberhardt in the On A Winter's Night tour know,
Cheryl frequently launches into hysterical stories of her life or
rambling observations on the human condition. She often accompanies these
stories of TV watching while touring and taking mug shots of pit bulls
with some of the funniest songs ever heard - songs and stories that she
will never record because she feels that, "Some experiences are just not
capturable."

"If I had to describe what I do, I guess I'd say I sing like a girl, I'm
not afraid of country music and I tend to write about home . . ."-Kate
Jacobs

Like Cheryl, Kate Jacobs refuses to play any corporate games to advance
her music, or to be anyone but who she is. She writes songs in a simple
direct manner that speaks right to your heart, like a letter from a
friend who lives too far away.  Her new album, The Calm Comes After, has
just been released on Bar/None records. One of her songs, A Sister,  is
being produced as a children's book by Hyperion Press. And, you can hear
her music featured on the soundtrack of the acclaimed documentary film
Delivered Vacant.

This concert will take place on Saturday, September 17 at 8 pm  at the
Grace Norton Rogers School Theater on Stockton Street in Hightstown, NJ.
(Just off exit 8 of the New Jersey Turnpike)

Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 dollars at the door. All seats are
reserved.
For tickets and information, contact John Bates at (609) 890-0808

Outta' Sights & Sounds is a non-funded, not-for-profit concert production
group putting on folk, celtic and alternative music for the central New
Jersey community.

Coming later this fall:

David Wilcox with Dar Williams    Sun, Oct 2, 8pm

"Guitars, guitars, guitars" featuring-
Wanamaker Lewis Trio, Ari Eisinger and Steve Byrne   Sat Oct 15, 8pm

John McCutcheon     Sun, Oct 23, 8pm

Call or e-mail for more info!
jim@pharmacop.com