Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: T-Shirt Unease

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 94 05:53 CDT
Subject: Re: T-Shirt Unease
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Cc: fmcquarr@upei.ca
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Fiona writes:
>Am I the only person on love-hounds who feels uncomfortable with the idea
>of IGG selling the rec.music.gaffa T-shirts?
>
>-  IGG says they are selling the shirts at cost until Oct. 15,
>this sounds like they will be selling them for profit after that. It's
>unfortunate that something that was put together on a non-profit basis is
>being corrupted. If there is a profit to be made, I would much sooner see
>it go to a good cause that Kate supports (e.g. Amnesty) rather than into
>IGG's pockets. After all, IGG didn't do the work of designing the shirts
>or producing them at first; why should they then make money from them?
>If anyone is entitled to money from selling the shirts, it's Stev0 or the
>people who did the designing for him.

    It's funny, but I got e-mail tonight from Allen at IGG asking for a
top quality dub of the love-hounds collection. I wrote him back saying
that I would send him the requested tape, with the provision that he
make no dubs, for sale, trade or even to be givin away. I know that the
last sounds a bit harsh, but the line between a gift and a promotional
freebie is a bit blurry. I await his reply. If he agrees to the terms,
I'd like anyone on both Love-Hounds and the IGG mailing to keep an eye
on the offerings from IGG, just to make sure. Fiona and I are not alone
in our mistrust. Several friends have had bad dealings with IGG.

>It was mentioned before that a list member is also producing the shirts
>and selling them at cost. For the reasons listed above, I would encourage
>people to buy the shirts from this person rather than from IGG. I hope
>this person will post ordering info soon so this option is available to all.

    Seconded. It also gets Lovehounds into a rather sticky legal area.
The picture *is* a copyright violation. The powers-that-be at Sony
might magnanomously ignore a tiny not-for-profit venture by a fan
(in Steve-o's case) or group (in the Collection tapers' case.) But
this takes it into a completely different area. Maybe I'm just
frightened by the nasty lawyerish shit in the recent Rolling Stone
about the fact that _Moments Of Pleasure_ was digitized and put
on an ftp site. (No mention of the fact that the Rush fans had
_Counterparts_ available as a set of WAV files long before the
album came out.)

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)