Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

T-Shirt Unease

From: Fiona McQuarrie <fmcquarr@upei.ca>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 23:36:01 -0300 (ADT)
Subject: T-Shirt Unease
To: "Kate (list) Bush" <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Am I the only person on love-hounds who feels uncomfortable with the idea
of IGG selling the rec.music.gaffa T-shirts?

I don't mean to slag off the fine efforts of Stev0 in making the shirts,
and I know that he didn't have anything to do with IGG deciding to produce
them, but.....well, here's why I feel funny about it:
- most list T-shirt projects that I have been involved with have just been
sold on the list to list members, as something to show membership in the
list. I realize this sounds kind of like a No Gurlz Allowed pre-school
treehouse attitude :) but I really don't see what appeal beyond a lovely
picture of Kate an RMG shirt would have to someone who isn't on the list.
- although IGG says they are selling the shirts at cost until Oct. 15,
this sounds like they will be selling them for profit after that. It's
unfortunate that something that was put together on a non-profit basis is
being corrupted. If there is a profit to be made, I would much sooner see
it go to a good cause that Kate supports (e.g. Amnesty) rather than into
IGG's pockets. After all, IGG didn't do the work of designing the shirts
or producing them at first; why should they then make money from them?
If anyone is entitled to money from selling the shirts, it's Stev0 or the
people who did the designing for him.

It was mentioned before that a list member is also producing the shirts
and selling them at cost. For the reasons listed above, I would encourage
people to buy the shirts from this person rather than from IGG. I hope
this person will post ordering info soon so this option is available to all.

Cheers, Fiona