Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Those hairy bears...

From: s0pdfm@assam.exnet.com (P D Fitzgerald-Morris)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 1994 22:42:29 GMT
Subject: Re: Those hairy bears...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9408291839.AA06599@bugs.TQS.COM> steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin) writes:

>as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tree of Schnopia) sez:
>
>>I think it's some sort of sarcasm...not claiming that Reagan *is* Godhead,
>
>That's why the line confuses me.  Obviously, the Pope *IS* Catholic and
>Luxemburg *IS* small (and, yes, The Bible *IS* fiction).
>
>But, even though the characters they're playing are rather dim-witted, even
>dim-witted folks realize that True Love *IS* a contradiction.  Only THE
>most feeble-minded of folks would not realize Reagan is just a senile evil
>git (which, unfortunately, includes most of AmeriKa).

My friends this is simple sarcasm. Atkinson is playing a caricature
of an American lounge singer of fierce reactionary views ie. Sinatra
himself or SD Jr, or whoever, who may well believe that Reagan was
an prophet of the true faith. We are being invited to laugh at such
a person.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
H  Peter FitzGerald-Morris       H     H   GGGGGGG     "Have       H
H  direct from                   H     H   G            the walls  H
H  HOMEGROUND TOWERS             HHHHHHH   G    GG      got        H
H  now via                       H     H   G     G      ears       H
H  s0pdfm@exnet.co.uk            H     H   GGGGGGG      here...?"  H
H                                                                  H
H         HOMEGROUND - THE INTERNATIONAL KATE BUSH FANZINE         H
H            PO Box 176 Orpington BR5 3NA Kent England             H
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH